Victim Notification Scheme: guidance for victims of crime

Guide explaining what the scheme is, who can take part, what information you can expect to receive and when.


This section provides information on the forms you need to complete to:

  • join the scheme; 
  • inform the Scottish Prison Service of a change of address or contact details; and
  • withdraw from the scheme should you no longer want to receive information about the offender. 

Form to Join
If you wish to join the scheme, and have not received an application form, please contact the Victim Information and Advice Service of the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (VIA) who will be able to assist. Their contact details are:

Telephone: 0300 020 3000

You must complete the form and return it to the Scottish Prison Service. The address is on page 11 of this booklet.

Change of Address 
If you change your address and still want to receive information, please notify the Scottish Prison Service as soon as possible. You can obtain a change of address form from the Scottish Prison Service, or contact them by letter, telephone or e-mail using the contact details provided in this document.

If you have joined the Victim Notification Scheme and later decide you do not want to receive any more information about the offender, you can withdraw from it at any time by completing a withdrawal form. This can be obtained from the Scottish Prison Service using the contact details on page 11 of this leaflet.



Back to top