Appendix 1: Recruitment Questionnaire
Good morning/afternoon/evening. My name is ... We are looking for members of the public to participate in a conversation about the possible impacts of generating renewable energy in the seas around Scotland. The purpose of the public dialogue is to understand what the Scottish people think about the social impacts of offshore renewable energy developments like wind, wave or tidal energy and how members of the public would like to be involved in discussing these issues with Marine Scotland in the future. As part of this work Marine Scotland and Sciencewise are running group discussions with local people in a number of localities in Scotland.
Just a bit of background, you may have heard of Marine Scotland, they are responsible for planning and managing Scotland’s seas and carry out consultations to get the views of organisations and members of the public on its proposals. They want to improve the way that they take account of the potential impacts of their work on people’s lives so that their decisions reflect what is important for local people and communities.
Your involvement would include participating in a public dialogue workshop, to take place in [Kirkwall and St Ola Town Hall and Community Centre] on [28/02/2015] with 15 participants / members of the public. A small number of specialists from Marine Scotland and experts would also attend / participate to provide information and background for the discussion. The event is expected to last a total of 6 hours, including breaks for coffee and lunch, which we will be providing. As a thank you for your time a £75 cash incentive will be provided upon completion.
This Public Dialogue will offer valuable input in developing an understanding of the hopes and concerns of local communities in Scotland with regards to the development of offshore renewable energy. Would you be interested in participating?
Thank you. May I please ask a few questions to confirm your eligibility for this dialogue?
1. Are you a resident of Orkney?
No - THANK and close
2. Have you, in the last 6 months, participated in any consultation about offshore renewables?
Yes GO TO Q3
No GO TO Q4
3. ASK IF Q2=YES Have you submitted a response individually or as part of an organisation (e.g NGOs, local /community groups)?
As part of an organisation - THANK and close
4. Are you part of any organisation (e.g. NGOs, local /community groups) that is actively involved / interested in the area of renewable energy?
Unsure / Don’t know
Despite not qualifying for this workshop if respondent is still interested please ask them to email the Marine Scotland offshore Renewable Energy team: OffshoreRenewableEnergy@scotland.gsi.gov.uk for further details
5. Interviewer to record sex of respondent:
6. Which of the following age categories do you belong in:
15 years or old younger - THANK and close
16-24 years old
25-34 years old
35-44 years old
45-54 years old
55-64 years old
65-74 years old
75 years or older
Prefer not to answer
7. Which of the following best describes your ethnic background?
Gypsy / Traveller
Other white ethnic group
B. Mixed or multiple ethnic groups
C. Asian, Asian Scottish or Asian British
Pakistani, Pakistani Scottish or Pakistani British
Indian, Indian Scottish or Indian British
Bangladeshi, Bangladeshi Scottish or Bangladeshi British
Chinese, Chinese Scottish or Chinese British
African, African Scottish or African British
Caribbean, Caribbean ScottishCaribbean British
Black, Black Scottish or Black British Other
F. Other ethnic group
Arab, Arab Scottish or Arab British
8. Which of the following best describes your employment status?
Self-Employed or freelance
Long-term sick or disabled
Prefer not to answer
9. ASK IF Q8= EMPLOYED OR SELF-EMPLOYED FREELANCE Which sector / industry are you currently employed in?
10. Which of the following best describes the highest qualification you have attained or level of school you have completed? If currently enrolled, highest degree received.
Grade, Standard Grade, Access 3 Cluster, Intermediate 12, GCSE, CSE, Senior Certificate or equivalent
SCE Higher Grade, Higher, Advanced Higher, CSYS, A Level, AS Level, Advanced Senior Certificate or equivalent
GSVQ FoundationIntermediate, SVQ level 12, SCOTVEC Module, City and Guilds Craft or equivalent
GSVQ Advanced, SVQ level 3, ONC, OND, SCOTVEC National Diploma, City and Guilds Advanced Craft equivalent
HNC, HND, SVQ level 4 or equivalent
Degree, Post or graduate qualifications, Masters, PhD, SVQ level 5 or equivalent
Professional qualifications (e.g. teaching, nursing, accountancy)
Prefer not to answer
Check available quotas and if appropriate recruit for dialogue group.
- Thank you for your time. Unfortunately we can't interview you on this occasion.
- Thank you for time. I can confirm you are eligible to participate in this public dialogue. Can I please record your contact details so that we may contact you in the near future to confirm the details of the time and venue of the meeting?
Record participant contact details Name:
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback