Chapter 2: Overview
96,375 registrations in 2,576 early learning & childcare centres (ELC)
697,989 pupils in 2,476 schools
52,247 teachers (full-time equivalent, including ELC)
13.6 pupil teacher ratio in schools
The overall number of pupils and teachers have both increased this year and the pupil teacher ratio (PTR) remained the same as 2017 and 2018 at 13.6. The numbers of teachers has increased across all sectors except early learning & childcare and centrally employed. The decrease in primary pupils combined with the increase in primary teachers meant there were fewer pupils per teacher and consequently the primary PTR decreased to 15.9. In secondary schools the number of pupils has grown at a faster rate than the number of teachers meaning there were more pupils per teacher, so the secondary PTR increased to 12.4.
Table 2.1: Schools, pupils, teachers and PTR
Pupils - Headcount; Teachers - Full Time Equivalents (FTE)
|Total (excluding ELC)(3)||673,502||676,914||679,958||684,348||688,959||693,251||697,989|
|Centrally employed (school)||1,170||1,186||1,283||1,239||1,129||1,039||972|
|Total school (excluding ELC)||49,790||49,521||49,679||49,985||50,592||51,138||51,449|
|Total (including ELC)||51,078||50,720||50,717||50,970||51,513||51,959||52,247|
|Pupil Teacher Ratios|
|Publicly funded schools(4)||13.5||13.7||13.7||13.7||13.6||13.6||13.6|
|Total based in schools(5)||13.9||14||14||14||13.9||13.8||13.8|
(1) The pupil teacher ratio for Total based in schools in 2015 was amended in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(2) ELC centre count includes local authority and partnership centres, and ELC teacher figures include ELC home visiting.
(3) Special and total pupil count were updated for 2011-2016 in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(4) Includes all school based and centrally employed teachers. Includes grant-aided pupils and teachers.
(5) Excludes centrally employed teachers.
(6) Prior to 2018, special schools with no pupils or where no pupils were on roll but pupils from other schools attended were included in school counts in this table. From 2018, they have been excluded.