Chapter 2: Overview
96,549 registrations in 2,544 early learning & childcare centres
693,251 pupils in 2,502 schools
51,959 teachers (full-time equivalent, including ELC)
13.6 pupil teacher ratio in schools
The number of pupils and teachers have both increased this year and the pupil teacher ratio (PTR) in publicly funded schools has remained the same as 2017 at 13.6. The numbers of teachers has increased across primary, secondary and special schools whilst the numbers of early years & childcare and centrally employed teachers has reduced. The number of pupils in primary has remained constant, meaning the increase in teachers has resulted in a reduction in PTR to 16.1. In secondary schools the number of pupils has grown at a faster rate to the number of teachers, meaning the PTR has increased to 12.3.
Table 2.1: Schools, pupils, teachers and PTR
|Pupils - Headcount; Teachers - Full Time Equivalents (FTE)|
|Total (excluding ELC)(3)||671,195||673,502||676,914||679,958||684,348||688,959||693,251|
|Centrally employed (school)||1,176||1,170||1,186||1,283||1,239||1,129||1,039|
|Total school (excluding ELC)||49,867||49,790||49,521||49,679||49,985||50,592||51,138|
|Total (including ELC)||51,253||51,078||50,720||50,717||50,970||51,513||51,959|
|Pupil Teacher Ratios|
|Publicly funded schools(4)||13.5||13.5||13.7||13.7||13.7||13.6||13.6|
|Total based in schools(5)||13.8||13.9||14.0||14.0||14.0||13.9||13.8|
(1) The pupil teacher ratio for Total based in schools in 2015 was amended in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(2) ELC centre count includes local authority and partnership centres, and ELC teacher figures include ELC home visiting.
(3) Special pupils and total pupils headcount were updated for 2011-2016 in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(4) Includes all school-based and centrally employed teachers. Includes grant-aided pupils and teachers.
(5) Excludes centrally employed teachers.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback