Chapter 2: Overview
- 95,893 registrations in 2,532 early learning & childcare centres
- 688,959 pupils in 2,514 schools
- 51,513 teachers (full-time equivalent, including ELC)
- 13.6 pupil teacher ratio in schools
The number of pupils and teachers have both increased this year but the pupil teacher ratio (PTR) in publicly funded schools decreased to 13.6. The rise in teacher numbers was due to an increase in the number of teachers in the primary and secondary school sectors. The numbers of early learning & childcare, special school and centrally employed teachers decreased. The PTR for secondary and special schools remained the same as in 2016 (12.2 and 3.6 respectively) while the PTR for primary schools decreased to 16.4.
Table 2.1: Schools, pupils, teachers and PTR
|Pupils - Headcount; Teachers - Full Time Equivalents (FTE)|
|Total (excluding ELC)(3)||670,481||671,195||673,502||676,914||679,958||684,348||688,959|
|Centrally employed (school)||881||1,176||1,170||1,186||1,283||1,239||1,129|
|Total school (excluding ELC)||49,907||49,867||49,790||49,521||49,679||49,985||50,592|
|Total (including ELC)||51,368||51,253||51,078||50,720||50,717||50,970||51,513|
|Pupil Teacher Ratios|
|Publicly funded schools(4)||13.4||13.5||13.5||13.7||13.7||13.7||13.6|
|Total based in schools(5)||13.7||13.8||13.9||14.0||14.0||14.0||13.9|
(1) The pupil teacher ratio for Total based in schools in 2015 was amended in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(2) ELC centre count includes local authority and partnership centres, and ELC teacher figures include ELC home visiting.
(3) Special pupils and total pupils headcount were updated for 2011-2016 in October 2017. See background notes for details.
(4) Includes all school-based and centrally employed teachers. Includes grant-aided pupils and teachers.
(5) Excludes centrally employed teachers.