Guide to this report
This report provides indicator statistics for protected equalities groups such as ethnic group, religion, country of birth, sexual orientation, age and gender. Some analysis of sub-national geographies is also included.
Supplementary tables contain worksheets with full analyses of each topic across all available social and geographic breakdowns.
SSCQ indicators are split into two or more states for analysis (e.g. currently smokes, does not currently smoke). The indicator property is provided in a blue box.
Indicators are defined in text boxes like this throughout Chapter 1
- Group comparisons (e.g. “No religion” compared to “Roman Catholic”) are age-standardised. See section 6.9 for technical details.
- Age standardisation has not been applied to the sections on Age and gender and Subnational geographies.
- Time series comparisons are made before age-standardisation is applied and non age-standardised estimates are shown in section 5.
- Only statistically significant differences (at 95% level) are reported. Details of these tests are provided in section 6.10. In the report text the term “significant” is used to mean “statistically significant” differences.
- Confidence intervals (at 95% level) are supplied in tables and shown on graphs throughout the report. See section 6.3 for technical details.
Charts and maps
All tables break down percentages in rows. ‘Refused’ and ‘don’t know’ responses are not shown, so row totals may not add to 100%.