Note 4: Special Advisers
1. Special advisers must resign if formally adopted as a candidate in the Scottish Parliament election, or if they decide to actively campaign for their party during the election or to help in their party headquarters or research unit during such a campaign, other than backroom support activities carried out in their own time, such as filling envelopes or making private telephone calls from their party headquarters.
2. Special advisers who remain in post may continue to advise Ministers on Scottish Government policy, but must take particular care not to take any active part in the campaign. Officials should continue to engage with any special advisers who remain in post during the election period in the normal way.
3. For further information, please contact:
- Carolyn Murdoch, Senior Talent and Staffing or
- Gill Glass, PS/Special Advisers