A National Statistics Publication for Scotland
The United Kingdom Statistics Authority has designated these statistics as National Statistics, in accordance with the Statistics and Registration Service Act 2007 and signifying compliance with the Code of Practice for Official Statistics. The designation of the Scottish Household Survey as National Statistics was confirmed on 26 May 2010 following an assessment by the UK Statistics Authority.
Designation can be broadly interpreted to mean that the statistics:
- meet identified user needs;
- are well explained and readily accessible;
- are produced according to sound methods, and
- are managed impartially and objectively in the public interest.
Once statistics have been designated as National Statistics it is a statutory requirement that the Code of Practice shall continue to be observed.
National Statistics status means that our statistics meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and public value, and it is our responsibility to maintain compliance with these standards.
Changes to these statistics
Since the latest review by the Office for Statistics Regulation, we have continued to comply with the Code of Practice for Statistics, and have:
- improved the accessibility of the statistics by creating a digital interactive dashboard to allow for easier comparisons across two topic areas
- based on positive user feedback, this dashboard was expanded to cover all topics with national and local authority data and renamed the SHS Data Explorer. This was first released with data from the 2018 SHS in May 2020 and, having taken further user feedback on board, was further improved and released with data from the 2019 SHS in September 2020
- added more value by creating an infographic key findings report and data comic to accompany the annual report
- introduced face-to-face briefings of our interviewers to improve the quality of the data collection
- introduced additional quality assurance processes of the raw data
- completed a user consultation to collect information about our users and how they use the data
- completed a 2018-2021 Questionnaire Review to ensure that the SHS continues to deliver high quality evidence on key policy priorities
- shortening delivery timescales so users had access to the local authority data and micro-data quicker. In 2020, local authority data from the 2019 SHS was released on the same day as the national results through the SHS Data Explorer. The SHS Data Explorer replaces the local authority tables that were provided as a Excel spreadsheet and offers users improved functionality
How to Access Background or Source Data
The data collected for this statistical bulletin:
☒are available in more detail through statistics.gov.scot.
☒ will be made available via the UK Data Archive.
☒ may be made available on request, subject to consideration of legal and ethical factors. Please contact SHS@gov.scot for further information.
Correspondence and Enquiries
For enquiries about this publication please contact:
SHS Project Team, Communities Analysis Division
Complaints and Suggestions
If you are not satisfied with our service or have any comments or suggestions, please write to:
The Chief Statistician, 2W.02, St Andrews House, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG,
Tel: 0131 244 0302, e-mail email@example.com.
If you would like to be consulted about statistical collections or receive notification of publications, please register your interest at register.scotstat.org
Details of forthcoming publications can be found at www.gov.scot/statistics