Appendix III: Interview Schedule
1. Professional and Agency Role
- What is your role in the puppy trade/in responding to the illegal/grey trade?
- SWOT in role/agency?
- Who do you work with in this role?
2. Key Agencies/Strategies
- Who/what are the key agencies involved in responding to the illegal puppy trade/puppy farms in Scotland?
- What are the main strategies in place ( e.g. PETS scheme, Balai directive)?
- Do these work - SWOT (policy, enforcement, resources, etc.)
- Does non-commercial trade (or other trade) provide loopholes for this trade?
3. Multi-agency work
- Experience of co-operation and co-ordination among stakeholders in and outside Scotland (who, where, what)?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of these approaches?
- Examples of successful and unsuccessful cross-border co-operation within the UK and outside the UK
4. The trade /unregulated farms
- Understanding of the nature and scale of the trade/farms? How much is undetected/reported/recorded?
- Understanding of the main problems in the trade/farms?
- Where does it take place (online/specific locations - motorway stations)?
5. Understanding consumer behaviour:
- Who are the consumers - of legal/illegal/grey?
- o What is your experience of these consumers/what are they looking for/how do they access the dogs?
- Are there specific locations/areas where this is more problematic?
- Have you identified strategies which successfully change consumer behaviour?
- What else can be done to change consumer behaviour?
- How best to access these consumers for the focus groups?
6. Extending Research to the UK
- Do you think similar research is needed in E&W? Why, what would the benefits be?