Purpose of the review
The strategic purpose set out by the Permanent Secretary is to review corporate processes for the storage, retrieval and deployment of corporate information to ensure they are fit-for-purpose in responding to the latest technological developments and the expectations of Ministers, the Parliament and the public, whilst also supporting the Scottish Government’s (SG) reputation as an open, capable and responsive government.
The review gathered information from a number of sources including:
- interviews with staff at various levels of the organisation across different functions
- surveys of staff with information management responsibilities
- reviewing current policies, processes and governance
- analysis of data gathered on the most common systems used to store and manage information in general day to day business
- collaborative learning and some benchmarking research of the information management approaches of other government organisations and departments in the UK and internationally