4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in March 2022 was 55,200, which is 200 (-0.4%) lower than in March 2021.
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Other Public Sector (which covers Public Sector Financial Institutions, Non-Departmental Bodies and Other Bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at March 2022. The reserved civil service employs the largest proportion of employees in the reserved public sector.
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 1 2022
The decrease over the year in the overall reserved public sector headcount was due to:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service decreasing by -260 (-1.1%) to 24,800 in March 2022;
- Employment levels for Other Public Sector increased by 60 (0.3%) to 20,300 in March 2022.
New data for Armed Forces for 2022 is not yet available, so its value remains unchanged at 10,100.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback