4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations and Public Sector Financial Institutions;
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 320 (-0.6%) to 55,800 in Q1 2018.
The estimated reserved public sector excluding the effects of the major reclassifications decreased by 310 (-0.7%) to 42,800 in Q1 2018.
Chart 5 shows the composition of the reserved public sector as at Q1 2018.
Chart 5: Breakdown of Reserved Public Sector Employment by Sector, Headcount, Q1 2018
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 1 2018
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
Over the year:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service decreased by 430
- Employment levels for Public Corporations & Public Sector Financial Institutions  decreased by 150 (-1.4%) from 11,100 in Q1 2017 to 10,900 in Q1 2018;
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces decreased by 180 (-1.8%);
- Employment levels for Public Bodies increased by 450 (+4.6%).
Email: Mhairi Wallace