3. Devolved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The devolved public sector includes:
- Devolved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Local Government, covering Scottish Local Authorities, Police and Fire Services (up to Q1 2013), Valuation Joint Boards and Regional Transport Partnerships;
- Police and Fire Services (Q2 2013 onwards)
- NHS in Scotland;
- Further Education Colleges;
- Devolved Public Corporations;
- Other Devolved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
Employment in the devolved public sector has increased by 2,740 (+0.5%) over the last year, from 502,800 in Q1 2017 to 505,500 in Q1 2018. Chart 4 shows the composition of the devolved public sector as at Q1 2018.
Chart 4: Breakdown of Devolved Public Sector Employment by Category, Headcount, Q1 2018
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 1 2018
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding
Over the year:
Employment in Scottish Local Government increased by 1,640 (+0.7%) over the year to 245,000 in Q1 2018.
Employment in the NHS increased by 460 (+0.3%) over the year to 163,100 in Q1 2018. A detailed breakdown on this information by staffing group was published by ISD on the 5 th June 2018: http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Workforce/
The number of Police and Fire Service employees decreased by 300 (-1.1%) to 27,500 in Q1 2018.
The devolved civil service saw an increase of 420 (+2.5%) in employment between Q1 2017 and Q1 2018.
Employment in other public bodies increased by 140 (+0.9%) to 15,500 in Q1 2018.
Employment in Further Education colleges remained constant at 14,000 in Q1 2018.
Employment in public corporations increased by 390 (+1.7%) over the year to 23,000 in Q1 2018.
Email: Mhairi Wallace
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback