Public sector employment in Scotland: statistics for first quarter 2016
Statistics based on administrative records and surveys of individual public sector bodies.
Table 1: Number of people employed by public and private sector; Scotland, Headcount
Not Seasonally Adjusted
|Total Employment 6||Private Sector 2||Public Sector||Estimated Private Sector including major reclassifications 3, 4||Estimated Public Sector excluding major reclassifications 3, 5|
|Level||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment||Level||Percentage of total employment|
|Change on year to:|
|Q1 2016||-53,400||-53,500||-0.4 p.p.||100||0.4 p.p.||-52,700||-0.4 p.p.||-700||0.4 p.p.|
|% change on year:|
p.p. - percentage points
r = revision - ONS has revised Labour Force Survey estimates as a result of taking on board population estimates and a review of the seasonal adjustment process
1. Figures have been rounded to the nearest hundred, unless otherwise stated.
2. Private sector is derived as the difference between the Labour Force Survey 'Total employment' workforce based estimate
for the whole of Scotland (not seasonally adjusted) and the public sector estimate (derived from individual organisation statistical returns).
3. Major reclassifications include: Royal Bank of Scotland plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc, Northern Rock plc, Lloyds TSB Commercial Finance, Lloyds Bank Asset Finance, Scottish Widows, Direct Line, Royal Mail Group plc, Post Office Ltd (until Q2 2006) and Network Rail.
4. Private sector including major reclassifications includes the figures for the above organisations in the private sector series when they were part of the public sector.
5. Public sector excluding major reclassifications excludes the figures for the above organisations from the public sector series when they were part of the public sector.
6. Figures are rounded to the nearest thousand.
7. Detailed tables showing a full time series of data - all quarters back to Q1 1999 - are available to download from the Public Sector Employment Websection:
Email: Claire Gordon
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback