More detailed, up-to-date information on Public Sector Employment can be found at the various links shown below:
The latest publication and web-tables provide information on:
- Overall public sector employment in Scotland
- Employment in the devolved public sector in Scotland
This section focuses on employment in public bodies which are the devolved responsibility of the Scottish
Government or Scottish Parliament.
- Employment in the reserved public sector in Scotland
This section focuses on the public sector bodies for which the UK Government has ministerial
Local government employment for Scotland and by local authority
This section provides information on local government employment in each local authority by staffing group (Police and related staff, Fire and related staff and Other staff). This information is collected in the quarterly Joint Staffing Watch Survey and feeds into the PSE publication.
Tables showing complete time series for each quarter from Q1 1999.
Technical information covering PSE methodology, concepts and definitions. Information on any revisions made to the series are available in the background notes.
- Revisions policy
- UK Public Sector Employment
- Regional estimates of public sector employment
- Annual Civil Service statistics