3 Next steps
The steering group is due to submit its recommendations to Ministers in September 2020. At this stage it is anticipated that the development of the PAS for plastic pellet management will be underway. The PAS process is an opportunity for this proposed system to be implemented through the established international standards structure, which will make it much easier to disseminate worldwide.
In parallel with the PAS development programme, the steering group will continue to test, explore and seek feedback from industry on the proposed system which can be used to inform that PAS steering group and future developments. It is anticipated that representatives from the Scottish Government's steering group will sit on the PAS steering group.
The Scottish Government and members of its steering group will continue to encourage and engage with others to develop a collaborative solution to preventing pellet loss from supply chains. The following set of interim actions have been identified for the steering group to review and progress. This work, together with development of the PAS, will inform the group's final recommendations to Ministers. Interim actions for further review and progression:
- The proposed system design should be considered while developing the PAS, and promoted through the PAS steering group;
- Development work should be undertaken with audit accreditation bodies to establish criteria for auditor accreditation;
- Further work should be undertaken on the design and implementation of the compliance register;
- In anticipation of the system's implementation, Scottish businesses handling plastic pellets should be encouraged and supported to demonstrate evidence of improvements to their pellet handling practices;
- Further testing of the system developed should be carried out to:
- Inform the PAS development process,
- Address any practical issues that may arise, and
- Inform further recommendations to support implementation, including training and workforce development implications.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback