Making the justice system more trauma informed
Trauma can happen to people after a bad or frightening event.
Trauma can make people:
- feel sad or upset
- feel scared
- have nightmares or bad memories
- drink alcohol or use drugs to help cope with how they are feeling
The Scottish Government thinks that organisations in the justice system should be trauma informed.
This means organisations:
- understand how trauma can make victims feel
- understand how trauma can make victims behave
Trauma informed also means that victims:
- are listened to
- get the right information at the right time
- feel safe
- are treated with kindness
One way to do this is to write new rules saying that organisations must be trauma informed.
Guidance could also help organisations be trauma informed.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback