Why some people think there should be a judge in serious sexual offence trials
- people are more likely to be found guilty if there is a judge
This might be because of what jurors think about sexual crimes.
- jurors sometimes do not understand important legal issues that often come up in serious sexual offence cases
- jurors might believe 'rape myths'.
A myth is something that is not true.
Jurors might believe ideas that it was the woman's fault that she was raped.
- some judges have had court cases where there was enough evidence to convict the accused but the jury did not find them guilty
- juries might not understand how trauma can affect a victim
- serious sexual offence cases can be upsetting for jurors
- a trial without a jury will take less time
This is better for the victim and will help trials to be done more quickly.
- judges have to give reasons for their decision – juries do not have to
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback