1. Details of any contracts or agreements in place between the Scottish Government and airline service provider “Loganair” - particularly any alterations/amendments/reviews in light of the COVID 19 situation from Feb 2020 onwards, as well as associated correspondence (recent, from Jan 1st 2020).
2. Any communications or correspondence between, or on behalf of the Scottish Government or any of its ministers and any employee, CEO, or persons with significant control or interest in Loganair from Jan 1st 2020.
Clarified as correspondence relating to financial assistance given to Loganair in the wake of the Covid-19 public health crisis.
3. Details of any sums of money paid to Loganair, by the Scottish government, in way of state aid, financial grants, amendments to existing contract(s) or similar made since the 1st Jan 2020.
The answers to your questions are:
1. The Scottish Government has the following contracts / agreements in place with Loganair.
a. The provision of air services between Glasgow Airport and Campbeltown, Tiree and Barra (TS/MFC/SER/2019/01) – these air services are subsidised under the European Union’s Public Service Obligation (PSO) mechanism. Loganair was awarded the contract to operate the services following an open tender exercise. The current contract runs from 25 October 2019 to 24 October 2023.
b. Air service to ensure basic connectivity in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland (TS/AMFC/SER/2020/01) – we have contracted Loganair to provide a skeleton air service for the Highlands and Islands of Scotland to facilitate essential travel during the Covid-19 pandemic while commercial services are not operating.
c. Air Discount Scheme (ADS) – the ADS aims to make air services more affordable for remote communities in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland by providing residents of the eligible area with a discount of 50% on the core air fare on eligible routes. The discount is applied by the airline at the point of sale and airlines are reimbursed by the Scottish Government for the discounts they’ve provided.
Relevant correspondence is included in the attached document.
2. I enclose a copy of some of the information you requested. While our aim is to provide information whenever possible, in this instance we are unable to provide some of the information you have requested because exemptions under sections 31(1), 33(1)(b) and 38(1)(b) of FOISA apply to that information. The reasons why those exemptions apply are explained in the Annex to this letter. Any information outwith the scope of your request has also been redacted.
3. The following table sets out funding provided to Loganair between 1 January 2020 and 7 June 2020.
Reason for Funding
The provision of air services between Glasgow Airport and Campbeltown, Tiree and Barra
Air service to ensure basic connectivity in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland
Air Discount Scheme
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
FOI-202000045020 - Information released (a)
- File type
- 71 page PDF
- File size
- 3.1 MB
FOI-202000045020 - Information released (b)
- File type
- 90 page PDF
- File size
- 3.1 MB
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback