Energy consents: how to apply

This document outlines the application for consent process.

The process for applying for consent to build, operate or modify electricity generating stations differs depending on the capacity of the station, and whether it is onshore or offshore.

This page explains who to contact in each instance.

Onshore applications (stations exceeding 50MW)

Scottish Ministers are responsible for approving the following:

  • applications for consent for the construction, extension and operation of electricity generating stations with capacity in excess of 50 megawatts 
  • applications for the installation of certain overhead electric lines and associated infrastructure
  • applications for necessary wayleaves to confer rights over land to install electric lines
  • compulsory purchase orders promoted under the Electricity Act 1989
  • applications for consent for large gas and oil pipelines

Applications to Scottish Ministers can be submitted online at, emailed to the energy consents team at or sent to the following address:

Energy Consents Unit
Scottish Government
5 Atlantic Quay
150 Broomielaw
G2 8LU

Our energy consents: application guide for developers sets out the procedure for submitting an application for consent and the publicity requirements for onshore development.

Good practice guidance

The Energy Consents Unit has published good practice guidance on the procedures for applications for onshore generating stations and overhead lines under sections 36 and 37 of the Electricity Act 1989.  This guidance provides advice in particular for projects requiring an environmental impact assessment.

Offshore applications (stations exceeding 1MW)

Applications concerning marine energy infrastructure, including wave, tidal and offshore wind developments exceeding 1MW, are approved by Marine Scotland

Applications should be sent to or to the following address:

Marine Scotland
Licensing Operations Team
375 Victoria Road
AB11 9DB

Applications below these thresholds

Applications to build, operate or modify electricity generating stations that don't meet any of the above thresholds are approved by the local planning authority.

Find the relevant planning authority on






Back to top