Information

Economic Report on Scottish Agriculture 2015

Economic Report on Scottish Agriculture 2015 presenting an overall picture of Scottish agriculture using data from the various agricultural surveys that RESAS manage.

This document is part of a collection


3.10 Off-farm income (Table B10)

Farm owners often supplement their income from agricultural activities with income from other sources. Off-farm income refers to these additional sources of income for farm owners and their spouses.

Overall, in 2013-14, 55 per cent of off‑farm income came from employment or self-employment, with the remaining 45 per cent coming from investments and pensions.

Chart 3.15 shows the percentage of total income (agricultural income and off-farm income combined) that comes from agricultural activities (including diversified activities and grants and subsidies) and from off-farm income sources (such as employment and investments).

In 2010-11 and 2011-12 the percentage of total income per FTE (FBI/FTE plus off-farm income/FTE) provided by agricultural activities was relatively unchanged at around 84 per cent. In 2012-13 and 2013-14 this fell to 76 per cent. Accounting for inflation, both sources of income have decreased on average compared to 2009-10, FBI/FTE by around 30 per cent and OFI/FTE by around seven per cent.

Chart 3.15: Contribution of farming and off-farm income to overall income, 2009-10 to 2013-14

Chart 3.15: Contribution of farming and off-farm income to overall income, 2009-10 to 2013-14

Contact

Email: Agricultural Statistics

Back to top