Highly Protected Marine Areas (HPMAs) - site selection: draft guidelines
Guidelines describing the proposed process for identifying and selecting Highly Protected Marine Areas (HPMAs) in Scottish waters. These were drafted by our statutory nature conservation advisors, NatureScot and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee (JNCC).
8 Further information
This guidance should be read in conjunction with the policy framework for identifying HPMAs in Scottish waters developed by Marine Scotland. Further information on the wider MPA network and protected areas management is available on the Scottish Government website.
Information about NatureScot's work on MPAs within Scottish inshore waters (out to 12 nautical miles) can be accessed on the NatureScot website.
Information about JNCC's work on MPAs within offshore waters adjacent to Scotland (extending beyond 12 nautical miles to the UK continental shelf) can be accessed on the MPA section of the JNCC website.
Further information on individual MPAs can be accessed in the following ways:
- MPAs in inshore waters via NatureScot SiteLink pages
- MPAs in offshore waters via JNCC Offshore MPA Site Information Centres
- Scottish MPAs can be viewed through the Marine Scotland Maps (NMPi) portal
- MPAs in UK waters can be viewed via JNCC's MPA mapper portal
- Fully attributed GIS site boundary files for all sites in the MPA network are available from NatureScot Natural Spaces
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback