2. Abortion Act 1967, section 1.
3. See https://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/cmo/CMO(2017)14.pdf (Annex A) for a copy of the October 2017 approval.
4. See Finch et al – 'Impact of self-administration of misoprostol for early medical abortion: a prospective observational cohort study'. BMJ Sexual and Reproductive Health, 2019. WHO – 'Medical Management of Abortion' - https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/medical-management-abortion/en/. Nice guidelines on abortion care - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng140
5. Please note the data provided has not gone through the same robust checking process as official statistics.
7. See NICE guidance leaflet for more information on potential complications from medical and surgical abortions - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng140/resources/abortion-before-14-weeks-choosing-between-medical-or-surgical-abortion-patient-decision-aid-pdf-6906582255
8. It was agreed with SACP members that significant complications should include: hospital admission, haemorrhage (over 500ml of blood) or requiring blood transfusion, severe infection requiring antibiotic treatment, a missed ectopic pregnancy or complications due to the pregnancy being at a later gestation than anticipated.
10. See Heller et al – 'Barriers to accessing termination of pregnancy in a remote and rural setting: a qualitative study', BJOG, 2016
13. c.87. Section 1(3A) was inserted by section 37(3) of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act 1990.
14. Made on 26th October 2017.
15. Note – these are the guidelines as at 31 March 2020. These guidelines may be updated from time to time.