1. Our Voice Citizen's Panel (2017). Survey on relationships with health and social care professionals, shared decision-making, how loneliness affects people in Scotland, and how well services are working locally. p.46. URL: https://www.ourvoice.scot/697/documents/1058 (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
2. Teuton, J. Social isolation and loneliness in Scotland: a review of prevalence and trends. NHS Health Scotland; 2017.
3. Equal Opportunities Committee. Age and Social Isolation. Scottish Parliament, 2015. URL: http://www.parliament.scot/S4_EqualOpportunitiesCommittee/Reports/EOS042015R05.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
4. Delivering for today, investing for tomorrow: the Government's programme for Scotland 2018-2019. URL: /publications/delivering-today-investing-tomorrow-governments-programme-scotland-2018-19/
5. Analysing Responses to 'A Connected Scotland' URL: https://www.gov.scot/publications/analysing-responses-connected-scotland-scottish-governments-draft-strategy-tackle-social-isolation-loneliness/
6. 6These definitions are drawn from the review of social isolation and loneliness prevalence and trends undertaken by NHS Health Scotland.
8. Lin, L. et al. (2016), Association Between Social Media Use And Depression Among U.S. Young Adults. Depress Anxiety, 33: 323–331. URL, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/ggi.12711/full (Last Accessed: 04/01/18); Kross E. et al. (2013) Facebook Use Predicts Declines in Subjective Well-Being in Young Adults. URL, http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article? (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
10. Campaign to End Loneliness. Threat to Health. URL: https://www.campaigntoendloneliness.org/threat-to-health/ (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
11. Our Voice Citizen's Panel (2017). Survey on relationships with health and social care professionals, shared decision-making, how loneliness affects people in Scotland, and how well services are working locally. p.46. URL: https://www.ourvoice.scot/697/documents/1058 (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
12. Teuton, J. Social isolation and loneliness in Scotland: a review of prevalence and trends. NHS Health Scotland; 2017.
13. These statistics have been updated since they were published in the original (Teuton, 2017) NHS report
14. The British Red Cross and the Co-op (2016). Trapped in a Bubble: An Investigation into Triggers for Loneliness in the UK; Antrobus, S. et. al. (2014). Alone in the Crowd: Loneliness and Diversity. The Campaign to End Loneliness and the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation.
15. The Mental Health Foundation (2010). The Lonely Society. Griffin, J. URL: https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/sites/default/files/the_lonely_society_report.pdf
16. Scottish Household Survey 2017. Scotland's People Annual Report. URL: https://www.gov.scot/binaries/content/documents/govscot/publications/statistics-publication/2018/09/scotlands-people-annual-report-results-2017-scottish-household-survey/documents/scotlands-people-annual-report-2017/scotlands-people-annual-report-2017/govscot%3Adocument
17. Carers UK. No one Should Have to Care Alone: Break Isolation. https://www.carersuk.org/breaking-isolation (Last accessed: 04/01/18).
18. Samaritans. (2010) Evaluation of Samaritans Emotional Support Services January 2008-January 2010. URL: https://www.samaritans.org/about-us/our-research/research-report-evaluation-samaritans-emotional-support-services (Last accessed: 04/01/18).
19. Kearns, A. Loneliness in Glasgow's Deprived Communities. GoWell, 2015. URL, http://www.gowellonline.com/assets/0000/3722/GoWell_Briefing_Paper_BP_22_Loneliness.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
26. Health, Social Care and Sport Committee. Inquiry into Loneliness and Isolation. National Assembly for Wales, 2017. URL: http://www.assembly.wales/laid%20documents/cr-ld11310/cr-ld11310-e.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
28. Jopling, K. Combatting Loneliness One Conversation at a Time. The Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness, 2017. URL: https://www.jocoxloneliness.org/pdf/a_call_to_action.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
29. Voluntary Action Fund (2017) Social Isolation and Loneliness Fund 2016-17 (Voluntary Action Fund), URL: http://www.voluntaryactionfund.org.uk/funding-and-support/social-isolation-and-loneliness-fund/ (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
30. Voluntary Action Fund, Social Isolation and Loneliness Fund 2016–2017: End of year report, forthcoming.
39. Payne, S. Mental Health, Poverty and Social Exclusion. PSE UK, 2012. URL, http://www.poverty.ac.uk/sites/default/files/attachments/Conceptual%20note%20No.%209%20-%20Mental%20Health%20%28Payne%20Dec2012%29.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
41. Co-op & New Economics Foundation. The Cost of Loneliness to UK Employers. New Economics Foundation, 2017. p. v.
42. Kearns, A. Loneliness in Glasgow's Deprived Communities. p. 7.
43. Anderson, S. Between Kith and Kin and Formal Services. Joseph Rowntree Foundation.
46. Scottish Household Survey Annual Report 2017. Scottish Government, 4th September 2018 p.189, URL, https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-people-annual-report-results-2017-scottish-household-survey/
47. Charities Aid Foundation (2016), A Post-careers Advice Service: Giving People the Tools to Go On Giving, p.10. URL: https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/a-post-careers-advice-service-giving-people-the-tools-to-go-on-giving.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
49. 532 of these volunteers came from a low-income household, 432 were older people, and 231 suffered from mental ill-health.
50. Living Digitally, An evaluation of the Clever Cogs digital care and support system, Carnegie UK, October 2018.
51. Digital inclusion services for older people, Care and Repair, August 2018.
54. NHS Health Scotland. Evaluation of the Links Worker Programme in 'Deep End' general practices in Glasgow. NHS Health Scotland, 2016. URL: http://www.healthscotland.scot/media/1201/27362-evaluation-of-the-links-worker-programme-in-deep-end-general-practices-in-glasgow-07-16.pdf (Last Accessed: 04/01/18).
55. Sense. "Someone cares if I'm not there": Addressing loneliness in disabled people. The Jo Cox Commission on Loneliness, 2017. p.34.
Email: Trevor Owen