1. This booklet provides information for the Parliament and others in support of the ‘Budget (Scotland) Act 2023 Amendment Regulations 2023’ – the Autumn Budget Revision. The Order is a Scottish Statutory Instrument laid before the Scottish Parliament by the Scottish Government in September 2023. The booklet itself has no statutory force – it is produced as an aid to understanding the Order.
2. The purpose of the Autumn Budget Revision is to amend the Budget (Scotland) Act 2023, which authorises the Scottish Government’s spending plans for the financial year 2023-24.
3. The main changes to the Scottish Government’s spending plans, as set out in the supporting document to the Budget Bill, are explained below:
i) Funding changes to reflect deployment of available resources to portfolios (total net increase to the budget of £361.3 million);
ii) technical adjustments (net increase to the budget of £188.0 million);
iii) Whitehall Transfers and HM Treasury allocations to the Scottish Government (£13.1 million); and
iv) the transfer of resources between Scottish Government portfolios.
4. In total these changes will increase the Scottish Government budget by £562.4 million from £59,643.5 million to £60,205.9 million.
5. The purpose of the Autumn Budget Revision is to seek Parliamentary approval for these changes.
Restructuring of Portfolios
6. Following his appointment on 29 March 2023 the First Minister announced a restructured cabinet with a number of changes to portfolio responsibilities. Table A provides a reconciliation between the previous portfolio budgets, as outlined in table E2 of 2023-24 Scottish Budget, and the new portfolio structure.
7. While changes to a number of portfolios were relatively modest there were some fundamental changes to others. This includes the responsibility for Local Government being transferred to the Deputy First Minister and Finance portfolio and the splitting of the responsibilities of the Finance and Economy portfolio. A full breakdown of movements is included in Table 1.9.
|2023-24 Draft Budget Structure||Total||NHSR, Health and Social Care||SJ||WE, FW & E||E&S||Justice and Home Affairs||T, NZJT||RA, LR &I||CEA&C||DFM & Finance||COPFS||Others||Total|
|Health and Social Care||19,157.9||19,148.9||9.0||19,157.9|
|Social Justice, Housing & Local Government||17,496.2||6,695.6||10,800.6||17,496.2|
|Finance and Economy||1,434.2||1,258.8||5.1||167.9||1,431.8|
|Education and Skills||4,854.5||4,854.5||4,854.5|
|Justice and Veterans||3,194.3||3,194.3||3,194.3|
|Net Zero, Energy and Transport Portfolio||4,696.1||102.1||4,331.8||262.1||4,696.1|
|Rural Affairs and Islands||964.9||964.9||964.9|
|Constitution, External Affairs & Culture||299.6||4.0||295.6||299.6|
|Deputy First Minister and Covid Recovery||45.0||45.0||45.0|
|Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service||196.6||196.6||196.6|
|National Records of Scotland||33.0||33.0||33.0|
|Teachers and NHS Pensions||6,921.0||6,921.0||6,921.0|
|Office of Scottish Charity Regulator||3.3||3.3||3.3|
|Scottish Courts and Tribunal Service||147.6||147.6||147.6|
|Scottish Housing Regulator||6.0||6.0||6.0|
|Scottish Fiscal Commission||2.5||2.5||2.5|
|Registers of Scotland||10.4||10.4||10.4|
|Environmental Standards Scotland||2.9||2.9||2.9|
|Food Standards Scotland||23.0||23.0||23.0|
|Total Scottish Government||59,497.2||19,148.9||6,708.6||1,361.0||4,854.5||3,194.3||4,336.9||1,227.0||295.6||11,013.5||196.6||7,160.3||59,497.2|
|Scottish Parliament & Audit||146.4||146.4||146.4|
|Total Scottish Budget||59,643.6||19,148.9||6,708.6||1,361.0||4,854.5||3,194.3||4,336.9||1,227.0||295.6||11,013.5||196.6||7,306.7||59,643.6|
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback