Collectively the Expert Panel bring a wide range of skills in poetry, including in the use of the Gaelic and Scots languages, and in the way it is communicated to audiences.
- David Seers, Head of Sponsorship and Funding Team, Culture and Historic Environment Division, Scottish Government, (Chair)
- Alan Bett, Head of Literature and Publishing, Creative Scotland
- Jackie Cromarty, Associate Director of External Relations, National Library of Scotland
- Dr David Goldie, President, Association for Scottish Literary Studies
- Peggy Hughes, Chair, Literature Alliance Scotland
- Eleanor Livingstone, Former Festival Director, StAnza, Scotland’s International Poetry Festival
- Marjorie Lotfi, Poet, Director of Open Book and Chair of Board of Trustees, Wigtown Book Festival
- Dr Robyn Marsack, Independent Advisor, Editor, Director of the Scottish Poetry Library 2000-2016
- Dr Peter Mackay, Lecturer in English, University of St Andrews and poet who writes in Gaelic
- Michael Pedersen, Poet and Poetry Programmer, Neu Reekie
Term of Appointment
On the recommendation of the Panel from this appointment the term will be for 3 rather than 5 years which it has been in previous rounds.
The Panel recommended a shorter term firstly because of the demands the role places on the Makar’s time and on their other work.
A shorter term also helps greater diversity, variety and interest in the role in future.
Future Review of Process of Appointment
The First Minister is keen for the process of appointment to this role to be reviewed to ensure that it remains fit for the future.
The change in the length of the term is one step in that evolving process.
If you would like to invite the Makar to attend an event or write a poem email: