The person chosen for the role of Makar must:
- have an established reputation in poetry
- be willing to relate their own creative practice to the role
- be flexibile and be able to independently manage diary commitments,and prioritise time. This is so they can take part in the programme of activities that are agreed in advance with Scottish Poetry Library.
- have experience of public engagements and events within a range of settings and communities. This especially includes schools and other learning groups.
- have an awareness and understanding of the ambassadorial role the post carries
- have a degree of familiarity with digital media
- have a Disclosure Scotland certification. The appointment will be made subject to completing this process
- be willing to abide by the integrity and leadership principles of public life as set out in the Scottish Government Model Code of Conduct for Members of Devolved Public Bodies February 2014
If you would like to invite the Makar to attend an event or write a poem email: