Code of practice for anyone authorised under an intervention or guardianship order

Guidance for those authorised to make decisions on behalf of an adult with incapacity.

This document is part of a collection


Office of the Public Guardian (Scotland)

Hadrian House
Callendar Business Park
Callendar Road

Enquiry line: 01324 678300

For information and advice about matters covered by the Act. The OPG's focus is primarily on financial matters. If they cannot assist directly with queries on other matters relating to adults with incapacity ( e.g. welfare, health, care) they will point you to other agencies who will be able to help. The OPG does not provide legal advice. All OPG publications, including forms and guidance notes can be downloaded. Hard copies are available on request.

Mental Welfare Commission for Scotland

Thistle House
91 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5HE

0131 313 8777
Helpline: 0800 389 6809

The Commission provides advice on welfare matters in relation to AWI and free good practice guides - see website for further information.

Scottish Government

Justice Directorate
Area 2W
St Andrew's House
Regent Road

Tel: 0131 244 3581

Adults with Incapacity Act Codes of Practice and other publications are listed on, and can be downloaded from, the website. Information about obtaining hard copies of these documents is available on the website or by calling 0131 244 3581.

Local Authority

To contact your local authority on matters relating to welfare/personal care issues and the Act you should ask for the social work department or community services department at the local council offices in the area where the adult lives. The address is in the phone book.

Sheriff Courts

The address and telephone number of the local sheriff court where the adult lives will be in the telephone directory. You can also find details of the local sheriff court by accessing the Scottish Courts website

Department for Work and Pensions

There is a free Benefit Enquiry Line for People with Disabilities on 0800 88 2200 (textphone users 0800 24 33 55). From the local authority you can also get details of the local welfare rights office that will give you advice and help with benefits. You will find useful information and guidance for disabled people and carers on the Department for Work and Pensions website -

Care Commission

Compass House
11 Riverside Drive

01382 207100

The Care Commission is an independent body which regulates care services in Scotland. It inspects and investigates complaints in relation to care homes; short break/respite care services; housing support; adult placement schemes; support services; care at home; nursing agencies; and hospice care. There are national care standards for all these services.

Law Society of Scotland

26 Drumsheugh Gardens

0131 226 7411
Client Relations Helpline: 0845 113 0018

The Law Society is the governing body for solicitors. It provides information to the public on where to find and what to expect from solicitors.

Scottish Legal Aid Board

44 Drumsheugh Gardens

0131 226 7061
Legal Aid Helpline: 0845 122 8686

Provides advice and information on entitlement to legal aid for applications in relation to the Adults with Incapacity Act; and a list of solicitors registered for legal aid work.

Citizens Advice Bureau - you will find the address of your nearest CAB in your phone book or at

Keeper of the Registers of Scotland

Edinburgh Customer Service Centre

Erskine House
68 Queen Street

Tel. 0845 607 0161

Glasgow Customer Service Centre

9 George Square
G2 1DY

Tel. 0845 607 0164

Scottish Independent Advocacy Alliance

Melrose House
69a George Street

0131 260 5380

This website will provide a link to the Independent Advocacy Service Directory for Scotland.

Alzheimer Scotland - Action on Dementia

22 Drumsheugh Gardens

Office: 0131 243 1453
Freephone 24hr Dementia Helpline 0808 808 3000

Provides a free guide for carers and people with dementia in Scotland: 'Dementia: Money and Legal Matters'. The website also provides information about the different kinds of powers of attorney and how to set them up. You can call the Dementia Helpline to arrange for a copy to be sent to you.


2nd Floor
146 Argyle Street
G2 8BL

0141 226 4541

Supports people with learning disabilities of all ages by campaigning, providing information, legal advice, training and other services.

Capability Scotland - Advice Service

1 Ellersly Road
EH12 6HY

0131 313 5510

Provides advice and information and local services for people with a range of disabilities, their families and carers.

Scottish Association for Mental Health

Cumbrae House
15 Carlton Court
G5 9JP

Tel: 0141 568 7000

Provides information, legal advice and support to people with mental health issues.

SENSE Scotland

43 Middlesex Street
Kinning Park
G41 1EE

0141 429 0294

Works with children and adults who have communication support needs because of deafblindness, sensory impairment, learning and physical disabilities.


Head Office
Springfield House
15/16 Springfield
University of Dundee

01382 385 154

PAMIS works with people with profound and multiple learning disabilities, their family carers and professionals who support them.

Headway Scotland

Helpline: 0808 800 2244

Headway provides: support and help to people affected by brain injury through a network of local groups and branches; information and advice; carer support; and a range of services (which vary from area to area).

Chest, Heart and Stroke Scotland ( CHSS)

Third Floor
Rosebery House
9 Haymarket Terrace
EH12 5EZ

Adviceline 0845 077 6000

CHSS aims to improve the quality of life for people affected by chest, heart and stoke illness through medical research, advice and information and support in the community.

Back to top