Set up or renew financial or welfare powers
Use these forms and guidance to set up or renew a guardianship or intervention order, to make decisions on behalf of an adult with incapacity.
These should be used in situations where there is no existing power of attorney.
This includes forms AWI to AWI 10.
- Apply to make decisions on behalf of someone else
- Applying for a guardianship or intervention order: guide for carers
End financial or welfare powers
Use these forms and guidance to end a guardianship or intervention order.
This includes forms AWI 11 to AWI 13.
Managing affairs for someone else
The following guidance provides advice for those authorised under an intervention order or guardianship order to make decisions on behalf of an adult with incapacity.
Forms and guidance for medical and healthcare professionals
The below section 47 certificate of incapacity must be completed by a doctor or other authorised healthcare professional in order to provide non-emergency treatment to an adult who lacks capacity to give or refuse consent.
Dispensing with notification
The below certificate to dispense with notification should be completed in circumstances where it would pose a serious risk to the health of an adult to notify them that their capacity is to be examined and/or that their affairs are to be managed.
- Section 47 certificate of incapacity
- Adults with incapacity: certificate to dispense with notification
- Adults with incapacity: guide to assessing capacity
Codes of practice
These codes of practice provide guidance on various aspects of adults with incapacity.
- Adults with incapacity: code of practice for medical practitioners
- Adults with incapacity: code of practice for local authorities
- Adults with incapacity: code of practice for those authorised to access funds
- Continuing and welfare attorneys: code of practice
- Adults with incapacity: management of residents' finances: overview
- get advice about setting up a power of attorney at the Office of the Public Guardian Scotland website
- read the full text of the Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000
- Adults with incapacity reform: easy-read version of consultation
- Adults with incapacity ( Scotland ) Act 2000: proposals for reform
- Adults with Incapacity legislation review: consultation responses analysis
- Consultation on the Scottish Law Commission Report on Adults with Incapacity