Our policy is to maintain and protect the high quality of seeds available to the public and industry.
- seek to prohibit a person from engaging in the business of a seed merchant, seed packer or seed processor unless that person has been registered by Scottish Ministers
- provide for the licensing of crop inspectors, seed samplers and seed testing stations
- keep registers of persons registered as seed merchant, seed packer or seed processors, and registers of licensed crop inspectors, licensed seed samplers and licensed seed testing stations
- allow for licensed crop inspectors, licensed seed samplers and licensed seed testing stations to charge for their services
- provide for the sampling of seed for enforcement purposes and the supervision of licensed personnel
- permit the right to make representation in relation to proposed decisions of the Scottish Ministers
Plant Breeder's Rights
UK Plant Breeder's Rights are a form of intellectual property rights for plant varieties which can be obtained from the Plant Variety Rights Office (PVRO).
Plant Variety Rights Office
Animal and Plant Health Agency
Telephone +44 (0) 208 026 5993
Plant Variety Registration (national listing)
Any new plant varieties must be added to the UK’s national lists, before they can be marketed. The national lists are maintained by the Plant Variety Rights and Seeds Office (PVS), which is part of the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA).
Details of all new or currently listed varieties can be found in the Plant Varieties and Seeds Gazette.
Policy and legislation
Policy issues for Plant Breeders’ Rights and National Listing are managed in the UK by the Plant Variety Seeds Committee where membership is made up of representatives from Scotland, England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
Scotland has its own devolved legislation for the marketing of seeds which originates from EU Directives and can be found at www.legislation.gov.uk/
Scottish Seed Regulations
- The Beet Seed (Scotland) (No2)Regulations 2010
- The Cereal Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005
- The Fodder Plant Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2005
- The Oil and Fibre Plant Seed (Scotland) Regulations 2004
- The Vegetable Seed regulations 1993
The official supervision and enforcement of the above regulations is undertaken by the Seed (Registration, Licensing and Enforcement) (Scotland) Regulations 2006 with any fees for the services being charged under The Seed Fees (Scotland) Regulations.