Deposit return scheme
We plan to introduce a deposit return scheme for drinks containers, to help improve quality and quantity of recycling, reduce litter and achieve our climate change targets.
The Deposit and Return Scheme for Scotland Regulations 2020, laid in the Scottish Parliament in March 2020, will create the legal framework for the scheme. If approved, the scheme will go live in July 2022.
The Environmental Regulation (Enforcement Measures) (Scotland) Amendment Order 2020 has also been laid, giving additional powers to the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) to enforce the scheme.
Alongside the Regulations, we have also published:
- Deposit Return Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2020: accompanying statement
- Deposit return scheme for Scotland: full business case addendum
- Deposit return scheme for Scotland: strategic environmental assessment addendum
- Deposit return scheme for Scotland: equality impact assessment
- Deposit return scheme for Scotland: business and regulatory impact assessment
- Deposit return scheme for Scotland: islands communities impact assessment
The policy has been designed in partnership with Zero Waste Scotland.
Deposit Return Scheme Implementation Advisory Group
We have set up the Deposit Return Scheme Implementation Advisory Group to provide industry experience and advice on practical issues relating to the operation of the scheme.