Scotland's population is ageing. The number of people aged 75 and over is set to increase by 85% by 2039. It means that, by then, over 800,000 people will be over the age of 75.
This has implications for how we provide healthcare, housing and support services. We must ensure the right support is available for older and disabled people so that they can live safely and independently in their own homes, for as long as possible.
Cost of living crisis: find out what help is available
- monitoring progress on Age, Home and Community: a strategy for housing Scotland's older people 2012-2021 through the Age, Home and Community Monitoring and Advisory Group
- providing guidance on equipment and adaptations for councils and other organisations
- promoting good practice in housing support services and in managing owner-occupied sheltered/retirement housing
- promoting the use of intermediate care so that people can live in their own homes
- ensuring that people are assessed so that hospital care is used appropriately
- working to improve health and social care support
- broadening the Housing Options approach to make sure older and disabled people receive advice and support on the most suitable housing available
In 2011 we published the National Strategy for Older People which outlines a 10-year vision and programme of action for housing for older people.
The Adaptations Working Group (which reported in November 2012) made recommendations about how to improve future delivery of housing adaptations for people of all ages, including disabled people and those with chronic illnesses.
We are working on this with local authorities, housing associations, third sector organisations including Care and Repair Scotland, and the NHS.
We also fund organisations and projects that contribute to the development and delivery of policy on housing for older people, and disabled people, through the Housing Voluntary Sector Grant scheme.
Bills and legislation
The Housing Act Prescribed Housing Support Services (SSI 444/2002) contains detailed definitions of housing support services.
Section 2 (27) of the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001 provides for the regulation of these services. The regulations are mandatory.
Telephone: 0300 244 4000
St Andrews House