Housing support services

Housing support services can help people to live as independently as possible in the community. These services can be provided in individuals' homes, or in temporary accommodation such as hostels for homeless people.

Registered housing support services are regulated by the Care Inspectorate using the 2009 National Care Standards for Housing Support services.

These services are mainly provided by councils, housing associations and voluntary sector organisations, while Scottish Government is responsible for overall policy. Find out more: supported housing on the Care Inspectorate website.

Private retirement housing

We have produced a code of practice for private retirement housing in Scotland in partnership with the Association of Retirement Housing Managers.

It is aimed at managers and owners of retirement housing, and details services that must be provided by law and those that should be provided as good practice. Some parts of the code have been replaced by legislation on property factors introduced in 2011.

If you're an owner or prospective owner of retirement housing, you can get a copy of the code of practice by emailing housingsupport@gov.scot or calling 0141 242 5429.