Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group
The Steering Group is made up of a cross-party strategy group and an expert group with representation from academia, trade unions, poverty and equality organisations. Each member of the expert group brings a wealth of experience from their represented sector.
The expert group will also recruit members with lived experience of poverty and inequality to ensure that they are able to contribute to the development and delivery of this innovative policy.
The expert group will define what a MIG for Scotland should look like, and will consider what a MIG will be comprised of, legislative impacts, costing and other topics which will contribute towards step changes towards delivery. The strategy group will be tasked with ensuring that the expert group’s remit and membership remain fit for purpose. The work of the overall Steering Group will take place across the term of this parliament.
The remit, minutes of the meetings and any papers produced by the MIG Steering Group will be published on this page.
The Strategy Group will be chaired by Shona Robison, Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice, Housing and Local Government while the Expert Group will be chaired by Russell Gunson, Director at the Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR). The group is comprised of representatives from the following organisations:
- Scottish Conservative Party – Miles Briggs MSP
- Scottish Green Party – Maggie Chapman MSP
- Scottish Labour Party – Pam Duncan-Glancy MSP
- Scottish Liberal Democrats – Caron Lindsay MSP
- Scottish National Party – Shona Robison MSP (chair)
- Carers Scotland – Fiona Collie
- Citizens’ Basic Income Steering Group – Gerry McCartney/Andy White
- CoSLA – Wendy Hearty
- Child Poverty Action Group – Ed Pybus
- Engender – Eilidh Dickson
- Glasgow Disability Alliance – Tressa Burke
- Institute for Public Policy Research – Russell Gunson (chair)
- Joseph Rowntree Foundation – Chris Birt
- Poverty Alliance – Peter Kelly
- Poverty and Inequality Commission – Bill Scott
- Standard Life Foundation – Mubin Haq
- Scottish Trade Union Congress – Eireann McAuley
- Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group: remit
- Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group meeting minutes: August 2021
- Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group: expert group ways of working - August 2021 meeting paper
- Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group: background on minimum income guarantee and basic incomes - August 2021 meeting paper
- Minimum Income Guarantee Steering Group: invitation for views - August 2021 meeting paper