1. The overall response rate excludes schools who took part in the Realigning Children's Services Survey and Glasgow state schools. For more details please see the SALSUS 2018 Technical Report.
2. Scottish Government and COSLA (2018) Public Health Priorities for Scotland https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotlands-public-health-priorities/
3. Scottish Government (2009) Changing Scotland's Relationship with Alcohol: A Framework for Action https://www2.gov.scot/Resource/Doc/262905/0078610.pdf
4. Scottish Government (2018) Alcohol Framework 2018: Preventing Harm https://www.gov.scot/publications/alcohol-framework-2018-preventing-harm-next-steps-changing-relationship-alcohol/
5. Scottish Government (2018) Rights, Respect and Recovery: Drug and Alcohol Treatment Strategy https://www.gov.scot/publications/rights-respect-recovery/
6. The SALSUS 2018 Technical Report can be found at: http://www.gov.scot/ISBN/9781839603327
7. The SALSUS 2018 Questionnaire can be found at: http://www.gov.scot/ISBN/9781839603327
8. Please note that the decimal place on the vertical axis for this graph refers to fractions of a year rather than months, for example for 13 year olds in 2008 the .4 equates to 40% of a year (i.e. approximately 5 months) and not 4 months.
9. The terminology used to describe SDQ scores is borrowed from the original SDQ questionnaire designed by Robert Goodman. While the terms 'normal', 'borderline' and 'abnormal' may seem outdated in the context of the language used to describe mental wellbeing today, they have been retained in this report to draw comparisons to previous years.
10. For full details of how area deprivation is calculated and its limitations please see the SALSUS 2018 Technical Report.
11. This was based on the home postcodes of pupils and postcodes of their schools. For more information, see the SALSUS 2018 Technical Report and http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/SIMD
12. Based on the Scottish Government urban rural classification. For more information, see the Technical Report and http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/About/Methodology/UrbanRuralClassification