Scottish housing guide for people leaving the Armed Forces and ex-service personnel

Information about housing in Scotland and contacts of organisations who may be able to help armed forces and ex-service personnel obtain housing suitable for their needs.

1.6 Where can I go for further advice and help?


  • Housing Options Scotland, Military Matters ( MM) is a specialist project within Housing Options Scotland focusing on housing issues affecting people serving in the military in Scotland, Service personnel transitioning into civilian life and veterans. The MM project provides individual tailored support and advice to serving members of the Armed Forces or veterans if they, or a member of their family, are disabled or suffer from a mental health condition. MM also provides housing information, advice and support to family members. Further information is available on their the website: or by email on or give them a call 0131 247 1400.
  • Shelter Scotland can give specialist information and advice on housing issues. Phone (free): 0808 800 4444. Their helpline is open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday. Advice is also available through their website:  Get Housing Advice - Shelter Scotland
  • Joint Service Housing Advice Office ( JSHAO) provide civilian housing information, advice and, where possible, arrange housing through housing associations for Service personnel and their dependants and to ex-Service personnel who are still living in Service accommodation. Visit their website at, email: or phone JSHAO telephone advice line: 01252 787574.
  • Veterans' Housing Scotland (Inc.) houses only permanently disabled veterans with a registered medical condition; there is usually a long waiting list. Application is available by calling 0131 285 3292 or 0131 557 1188 or visit their website:
  • Haig Housing Trust offer help with housing and have homes for ex-Service personnel and their families to rent across the UK. Phone 0208 685 5777 or visit their website at
  • Scottish Veterans' Residences provides single-room en-suite accommodation with catering and support services as well as some independent flats. Phone: 0131 556 0091 or visit their website at
  • Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen and Families Association ( SSAFA) Forces Help provides advice through its Housing Advisory Service on 0207 463 9398, through their website at or through one of their local branches. They also have a confidential support line on 0800 731 4880.

Support Services for Veterans

  • Veterans' Gateway provides a single point of contact for veterans seeking advice and support. Many of their team are veterans themselves so they understand the issues that people face after leaving the Armed Forces. They work with people on a one-to-one basis, connecting them with the right support as soon as possible. They are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0808 802 1212 Website:
  • Citizens Advice Scotland's Armed Services Advice Project ( ASAP) provides free independent, confidential and impartial advice and information to the Armed Forces community on a range of issues including housing, employment, benefits, debt and relationships. They have advisers offering face-to-face advice across Scotland or you can call their helpline on 0808 800 1007. Website:
  • Veterans' Welfare Service was launched by the MOD to improve personnel, pension, welfare and support services to members of the Armed Forces and veterans. They also have five Veterans Welfare Service Centres across the UK. Phone their free helpline on 0141 224 2709 or visit their website at
  • The Royal British Legion Scotland (Legion Scotland) is the largest military veteran membership charity in Scotland with a network of 153 branches with 63 social clubs and 26,000 members. They remember those who have fallen and support those who have been injured through service; they offer a place of comradeship and provide services that tackle a range of issues affecting veterans and their families. You can call them on 0131 550 1586 or visit their website at
  • Poppyscotland provides life-changing support to the Armed Forces community, including those who have served, those still serving, and their families. Their tailored support and funding can help with rent deposits, home start-up items, repairs, and mobility aids and adaptations, as well as other areas of need. Their other Welfare Services include short breaks, employment services, and advice through Welfare Centres in Inverness and Kilmarnock. You can call them on 0131 550 1557 or visit their website at
  • Veterans' Assist Scotland provides online access to information and advice resources from one single website. Topics include housing options, how to claim a War Disablement Pension, and finding a route into employment. Website:
  • Veterans' First Point is a national service that offers help and assistance to veterans whatever their needs are. Phone 0131 221 7090 or visit their website at
  • Veterans' Scotland brings the veterans charities and organisations in Scotland together to support the ex-Service community. Phone 0131 550 1569 or visit their website at



Back to top