Review of NHS Pharmaceutical Care of Patients in the Community in Scotland
Report of an independent review of NHS pharmaceutical care of patients in the community in Scotland, carried out by Dr Hamish Wilson and Professor Nick Barber.
1. The Healthcare Quality Strategy for NHSScotland, Scottish Government, May 2010.
2. Achieving Sustainable Quality in Scotland's Healthcare: A 20:20 Vision 2011, Scottish Government, September 2011.
3. The Right Medicine: A Strategy for Pharmaceutical Care in Scotland, Scottish Government, 2002.
4. Integration of Adult Health and Social Care in Scotland: Consultation on Proposals, Scottish Government, May 2012.
5. Establishing Effective Therapeutic Partnerships - A generic framework to underpin the Chronic Medication Service element of the Community Pharmacy Contract, Scottish Government, December 2009.
6. Achieving Sustainable Quality in Scotland's Healthcare: A 20:20 Vision 2011, Scottish Government, September 2011.
7. Barnett K, Mercer SW, Norbury M, Watt G, et al, Epidemiology of multimorbidity and implications for health care, research, and medical education: a cross-sectional study. Lancet 2012; 380: 37-43.
8. NHS National Services Scotland: ISD, June 2011.
9. Howard RL, Avery AJ et al, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, Vol 63, Issue 2, Feb 2007, 136-147.
10. Elliot R. Non adherence to medicines - not solved but solvable, J Health Serv Res Policy 2009, 14:58-61
11. 1. Jones I, Britten N: Why do some patients not cash their prescriptions? Br J Gen Pract 1998, 48:903-905. 2. Beardon PHG, McGilchrist MM, McKendrick AD, McDevitt DG, MacDonald TM: Primary non-compliance with prescribed medication in primary care, Br Med J 1993, 307:846-848.
12. Medicines adherence: Involving patients in discussions about prescribed medicines and supporting adherence, NICE clinical guidelines, January 2009.
13. Evaluation of the scale, causes and costs of waste medicines, York Health Economics Consortium/School of Pharmacy, University of London, November 2010.
14. 1. A Quest for Quality in Nursing Homes British Geriatrics Society, 2011. 2. Sunil M Shah et al, Quality of Prescribing in Care Homes and the Community in England and Wales, BJGP, May 2012. 3. Barber ND, Alldred DP, Raynor DK, Dickinson R et al. Care homes' use of medicines study: prevalence, causes and potential harm of medication errors in care homes for older people. Quality and Safety in Health Care. 2009:341-6.
15. Avery A, Barber N, Ghaleb M, Dean B et al, Investigating the prevalence and causes of prescribing errors in general practice: The PRACTICE Study, A report for the GMC, 2012.
16. Barber ND, Alldred DP, Raynor DK, Dickinson R, et al. Care homes' use of medicines study: prevalence, causes and potential harm of medication errors in care homes for older people. Quality and Safety in Health Care. 2009:341-6.
17. NHS Forth Valley Royal Hospital and Community Pharmacy Medicines Reconciliation Project - report unpublished.
18. Pharmaceutical Care: The Future for Community Pharmacy-Report of the Joint Working Party on the future role of the community pharmacist services. Published by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society on behalf of the Department of Health and the pharmaceutical profession, March 1992.
19. 1. Helper DD et al, Am J Pharm Educ 1989. 2. Hepler CD, Strand LM. March 1990. Opportunities and responsibilities in pharmaceutical care. American Journal of Hospital Pharmacy, Volume 47, pages 533-543.
20. Avery AJ, Cantrill JA, Armstrong S, Cresswell K, et al, A pharmacist-led information technology intervention for medication errors (PINCER): a multicentre, cluster randomised, controlled trial and cost-effectiveness analysis, The Lancet, Volume 379, Issue 9823, Pages 1310 - 1319, 7 April 2012.
21. Understanding public trust in services provided by community pharmacists relative to those provided by general practitioners: a qualitative study, Gidman W et al, BMJ Open 2012, Volume 2, Issue 3.
22. Tinelli M, Bond C, Blenkinsopp A, et al, Patient evaluation of a community pharmacy medications management service, Ann Pharmacother 2007;41:1962-70.
23. Review of the Community Pharmacy Public Health Service for Smoking Cessation and Emergency Hormonal Contraception, Scottish Government, November 2011.
24. The role of community pharmacy in reducing alcohol consumption in individuals drinking at hazardous or harmful levels: a rapid review of the evidence, National Public Health Service for Wales, August 2009.
25. Barber ND, Alldred DP, Raynor DK, Dickinson R, et al. Care homes' use of medicines study: prevalence, causes and potential harm of medication errors in care homes for older people. Quality and Safety in Health Care. 2009:341-6.
26. Improving Pharmaceutical Care in Care Homes, Royal Pharmaceutical Society Scotland, March 2012.
27. RCGP Scotland and RPS Scotland Joint Statement: Breaking down the barriers - how pharmacists and GPs can work together to improve patient care, RCGP Scotland and RPS Scotland, 2012.
28. Adults with Incapacity (Scotland) Act 2000, the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003, the Adult Support and Protection (Scotland) Act 2007, and the Protection of Vulnerable Groups (Scotland) Act 2007.
29. Scottish Patients at Risk of Readmission and Admission.
30. Pharmore+ evaluation - unpublished.
Email: Elaine Muirhead
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback