Registration of independent schools: guidance for applicants, proprietors, and parents
Guidance covering topics topics such as how to register a new independent school or apply to amend the registration of existing independent schools in Scotland.
This guidance document has been designed for both applicants (i.e. individuals seeking to register a new independent school) and proprietors (i.e. managers of existing independent schools). It also includes information useful to parents and learners.
This document sets out information on the following
- How independent schools are defined in Scotland
- Where to find out information about independent schools
- Important points of contact
- The registration process – from application to post-registration inspection
- The Scottish Ministers and their role in regulating independent schools
- Who can, and cannot, investigate complaints about schools
- Other information useful to applicants and proprietors
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback