Table A2: Sexual offences1 recorded by the police, 2002-03 to 2011-12
|Number & Percentage|
|Sexual offences||2002-03||2003-04||2004-05||2005-06||2006-07||2007-08||2008-09||2009-10||2010-11||2011-12||% change 10-11 to 11-12|
|Rape & attempted rape||924||1,037||1,109||1,161||1,123||1,053||963||996||1,131||1,274||13|
|Sexual assault including against children||1,377||1,467||1,542||1,557||1,714||1,721||1,681||1,737||1,774||2,056||16|
|Lewd and libidinous practices3||1,970||1,790||1,928||1,835||1,738||1,781||1,616||1,675||1,446||850||-41|
|Offences associated with prostitution4||1,130||1,249||1,458||730||779||682||765||661||576||567||-2|
|Offences relating to prostitution||1,092||1,216||1,391||684||718||525||533||418||353||344||-3|
|Soliciting services of person engaged in prostitution||-||-||-||-||-||101||172||162||154||149||-3|
|Other sexually coercive conduct||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||~||155||660||326|
|Other sexual offences involving 13-15 year old children5||246||245||277||316||436||394||370||445|| |
|Taking, distribution, possession etc. of indecent photos of children5||*||*||*||*||*||*||*||69||225||375||67|
|Illegal homosexual acts||130||152||117||98||84||87||97||74||118||46||-61|
|Other sexual offences3||10||6||9||16||16||30||34||55||71||103||45|
|Total Sexual offences 1,2||6,623||6,785||7,325||6,558||6,726||6,552||6,331||6,527||6,696||7,359||10|
- =The relevant legislation for this category was implemented in 2007-08.
~ =The relevant legislation for this category was implemented in 2010-11.
* = Crimes within this category were not separately identifiable before 2009-10.
1. The overall total for Sexual offences for 2009-10 and 2010-11 have been affected by changes to the categories of Other sexual offences. From 2011-12 onwards, the offence of Taking, distribution, possession etc. of indecent photos of children has been reclassified as a Sexual offence.
2. Implementation of Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act will have an effect on comparability of breakdown of sexual offences over time. For further information please see Note 3.5.
3. The totals of these categories for 2009-10 have been revised following the submission of amended data from Fife Constabulary.
4. These categories have been restructured to provide a more coherent picture of Sexual offences. Offences associated with prostitution includes: Offences relating to prostitution, Soliciting services of person engaged in prostitution, Brothel keeping, Immoral traffic and Procuration. Other sexual offences includes: Other sexually coercive conduct, Other sexual offences involving 13-15 year old children, Taking, distribution, possession etc. of indecent photos of children, Incest, Unnatural crimes, Public indecency and Sexual exposure.
5. The data for these categories have been amended since publication on 26 June 2012 due to an error. The figures for these categories in Table A3 were unaffected by this error.
Changes to Sexual offences from 1 December 2010
The implementation of the Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009 on 1 December 2010 has had an effect on the breakdown of Sexual offences. Comparison over time of the statistics in Table A2 should therefore be treated with caution. A number of notable changes took place. Please note however that as the legislation came into place part way through the 2010-11 financial year the data for 2010-11 contains only 4 months of data using the new breakdowns.
- From 1 December 2010 onwards, Sexual assault can be broken down into a number of more specific offences. A further breakdown of Sexual assault is provided in the Table A3 below.
- Lewd and libidinous practices can also now be broken down into more specific offences, relating to children. Over time, we should see this category decrease and disappear altogether.
- Historically, Rape related only to female victims, but the new legislation allows for the recording of male rape as Rape rather than Sexual assault.
- Sexual intercourse with a girl under 16 is another category which in time will become obsolete as more specific Sexual assault categories will be used to record these crimes.
- Indecent exposure now also includes crimes of Sexual exposure
Email: Neil Henderson