1. Structure of Bulletin
1.1. This bulletin presents Official Statistics on the number of racist incidents recorded by the police in Scotland. Some change has been made to the structure of this bulletin since the previous publication.
1.2. Key Points on racist incidents in Scotland are on pages 1 to 2.
1.3. Chapter 2 provides a summary of the background to racist incidents recorded by the police in Scotland. This includes details of how the data was collected.
1.4. Chapter 3 presents statistics for 2013-14. It includes details on incidents, crimes recorded, victims/complainers and perpetrators, by change over time and analysis at the local authority level.
1.5. Chapter 4 presents information on 'Putting Racist Incidents in Context'. It highlights some of the other data sources available on racist incidents.
1.6. Chapter 5 presents information on racist incidents in Scotland through a series of tables.
1.7. Annexes provide further information on the process of collecting these statistics on racist incidents in Scotland. These include:
- Data sources and definitions;
- Quality of the statistics;
- Auditing of data by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary in Scotland (HMICS);
- Stakeholder consultations;
- Comparisons with England & Wales and Northern Ireland;
- Users of the statistics;
- Future considerations;
- Other Notes; and
- Classification of Crime and Offences used in this bulletin.
Email: Alan Sloan