4. Reserved Public Sector Employment in Scotland; Headcount
(see Table 4)
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector in June 2021 was 55,400, which is 990 (1.8%) higher than in June 2020.
The reserved public sector employment includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (see section 5);
- Armed Forces;
- Other Public Sector (which covers Public Sector Financial Institutions, Non-Departmental Bodies and Other Bodies).
Chart 4 shows the size of each group in the reserved public sector as at June 2021. The reserved civil service employs the largest proportion of employees in the reserved public sector.
Source: Public Sector Employment in Scotland, Quarter 2 2021
Note: Totals may not equal the sum of the individual parts due to rounding.
The increase over the year in the overall reserved public sector headcount was due to:
- Employment levels for the Reserved Civil Service increasing by 800
(3.3%) to 25,100 in June 2021; and
- Employment levels for the Armed Forces increasing by 300 (3.1%) to 10,100 in June 2021;
- Employment levels for Other Public Sector decreased by -110 (-0.5%) from 20,400 in June 2020 to 20,200 in June 2021.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback