2. Marine Scotland. 2012. Report to the Scottish Parliament on Progress to Identify a Scottish Network of Marine Protected Areas, page 10.
3. Scottish Natural Heritage and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee (2012) Advice to the Scottish Government on the selection of Nature Conservation Marine Protected Areas ( MPAs) for the development of the Scottish MPA network. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 547.
5. Scottish Environment Protection Agency ( SEPA), Scottish Natural Heritage ( SNH) and Historic Scotland.
6. Environment Agency, Natural England, English Heritage, Natural Resources Wales, Cadw, and the Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland
7. Marine Scotland. 2012. Report to the Scottish Parliament on Progress to Identify a Scottish Network of Marine Protected Areas, page 10.
8. Scottish Natural Heritage and the Joint Nature Conservation Committee. 2012. Advice to the Scottish Government on the selection of Nature Conservation Marine Protected Areas ( MPAs) for the development of the Scottish MPA network. Scottish Natural Heritage Commissioned Report No. 547.
10. Blue Seas, Green Energy (2011) identifies areas potentially suitable for offshore wind ( http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marineenergy/wind). The Draft Sectoral Marine Plans for Offshore Renewable Energy in Scottish Waters, which include offshore wind, are now available for comment as part of the Planning Scotland's Seas consultation http://www.scotland.gov.uk/publications/draft-sectoral-marine-plans-offshore-renewable-energy-scottish-waters-consultation/
11. Year of Natural Scotland 2013 - Scotland's Big 5 celebrations - http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/year-of-natural-scotland-2013/scotlands-big-5-celebrations/
12. Atlantic salmon ( Salmo salar) have not been included on the list of MPA search features. Atlantic salmon are protected through Special Area of Conservation designation, which protects their freshwater interests. Little is known about the migration routes of Atlantic salmon in the marine environment, and this lack of data is such that inclusion in MPA features could not be supported by the appropriate level of evidence.
13. Information in this overview is taken from Scotland's Marine Atlas and SNH/ JNCC (2012) Advice to the Scottish Government on the selection of Nature Conservation Marine Protected Areas ( MPAs) for the development
of the Scottish MPA network. SNH Commissioned Report No 547.
14. Charting Progress 2
15. Information in this section is taken from: Scottish Government (2011) Scotland's Marine Atlas, Information for the national marine plan.
16. Scottish Government (2011) Scotland's Marine Atlas, Information for the national marine plan, Scottish Government pp 100-103
17. Scotland's Marine Atlas. p. 71
18. from Charting Progress 2 Feeder Report
20. The Scottish Government. 2011. Scotland's Marine Atlas: Information for the National Marine Plan.
21. Northidge, S., A Cargill, A Coram, L Mandleberg, S Calderan and B Reid. June 2010. Enganglement of minke whales in Scottish waters: an investigation into occurrence, causes and mitigation. Final Report to Scottish Government CR/2007/49.
22. JNCC (2011) Council Directive 2000/60/ EC establishing a framework for Community action in the field of water policy (Water Framework Directive),Available at: http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/page-1375
23. European Commission (2011) EU Water Legislation and the Water Management Directive, [online] Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/participation/notes_en.htm
24. SEPA River Basement Management Plans, Available at: http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_basin_planning.aspx
25. For all surface waters, classification describes the ecological quality of water bodies (this includes both ecological and chemical status). Ecological status is discussed further in "The river basin management plan for the Scotland river basin district 2009-2015", available at http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/river_basin_planning.aspx
26. SEPA (2012) 2011 aquatic classification results and comparison to previous years. Available at: http://www.sepa.org.uk/water/monitoring_and_classification/classification.aspx
28. Sniffer (2006) A Handbook of Climate Trends Across Scotland, [online] Available at: www.sniffer.org.uk
29. UKCIP (2011) Recent Climate Trends [online] Available at: http://www.ukcip.org.uk/essentials/climate-trends/
30. Scottish Government (2012) Climate Change and Ocean Acidification [online] Available at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/science/atlas/climatechange
31. UKCIP (2011) Recent Climate Trends [online] Available at: http://www.ukcip.org.uk/essentials/climate-trends/
32. Marine Climate Change Impacts Partnership (2010) Coastal erosion and Coastal Geomorphology, [online] Available at: http://www.mccip.org.uk/annual-report-card/2007-2008/marine-environment/coastal-erosion.aspx
33. Marine Scotland (2011) Scotland's Marine Atlas: Information for The National Marine Plan [online] Available at: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/03/16182005/9
34. SNH and The Marine Biological Association (undated) Impacts of climate change on seabed wildlife in Scotland[online] Available at: www.marlin.ac.uk/PDF/Climate_change_brochure.pdf
35. SEAFISH (2009) Fishing vessel fuel emissions, research and development fact sheet, April 2009 [online] Available at: http://www.seafish.org/fishermen/fishing/fishing-gear/fuel-efficiency
36. Carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, hydroflurocarbons, perflurocarbons and sulphur hexafluoride
37. Scottish Government (2013) Low Carbon Scotland: Meeting our Emissions Reduction Targets 2013-2027 - The Second Report on Proposals and Policies. Available from http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2013/06/6387/9
38. CMAL (2009) Scottish Government Ferry Review: Vessels Report
39. AEA Energy & Environment (2008) Transport Carbon Emissions in the Highlands and Islands. Final Report to Highlands and Islands Enterprise.
40. SEAFISH (2009) Fishing vessel fuel emissions, research and development fact sheet, April 2009 [online] Available at: http://www.seafish.org/fishermen/fishing/fishing-gear/fuel-efficiency
41. SEAFISH (2012) 2010 Economic Survey of the UK Fishing Fleet [online] Available at: http://www.seafish.org/publications-search?search=&category=Economics%20and%20Business&date_month=&date_year=&published_beforeafter
42. SEAFISH (2012) 2010 Economic Survey of the UK Fishing Fleet [online] Available at: http://www.seafish.org/publications-search?search=&category=Economics%20and%20Business&date_month=&date_year=&published_beforeafter
43. Geodiversity is the variety of rocks, minerals, fossils, landforms, sediments and soils, together with the natural processes which form and alter them (Brooks et al, 2012).
45. Marine Scotland, The Scottish Government, SNH and JNCC. no date. Marine Protected Areas in Scotland's Seas: Guidelines on the selection of MPAs and development of the MPA network.
46. Marine Scotland 2012 Nature Conservation Marine Protected Areas Management Handbook
47. Note: These are working drafts, produced to support initial discussions with stakeholders about management of activities in the pMPA. The development of site management is an on-going process which will continue after the conclusion of the formal consultation; this includes changes to reflect any relevant information that becomes available e.g. through stakeholder discussions.
49. United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea of 10 December 1982 http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/texts/unclos/UNCLOS-TOC.htm
50. Directive 2008/56/ EC Establishing a framework for community action in the field of marine environmental policy (Marine Strategy Framework Directive) http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:164:0019:0040:EN:PDF
51. An Integrated Maritime Policy for the European Union http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2007:0575:FIN:EN:PDF
52. Reform of the Common Fisheries Policy http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:52011DC0417:EN:NOT
53. COUNCIL REGULATION ( EC) No 850/98 (as amended) for the conservation of fishery resources through technical measures for the protection of juveniles of marine organisms http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1998R0850:20060117:EN:PDF
54. The Coast Protection (Notices) (Scotland) Regulations 1988 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1988/957/contents/made
55. The Coast Protection (Notices) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 1996 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/141/contents/made
56. Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2009/23/pdfs/ukpga_20090023_en.pdf
57. HM Government in association with Northern Ireland Executive, The Scottish Government and the Welsh Assembly Government (2009) http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/1057/0080305.pdf
58. Marine (Scotland) Act 2010 [available online] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2010/5/pdfs/asp_20100005_en.pdf
59. Convention on Biological Diversity [available online] http://www.cbd.int/convention/text/
60. CBD and the Jakarta Mandate http://www.cbd.int/idb/2012/?ttle
61. Introduction to the Convention on Migratory Species [available online] http://www.cms.int/about/intro.htm
62. Convention on Wetlands of International Importance 1971 (amended 1982/87) http://www.ramsar.org/cda/en/ramsar-documents-texts/main/ramsar/1-31-38_4000_0__
63. Convention for the Protection of the Marine Environment of the North-East Atlantic ( OSPAR Convention) http://www.ospar.org/html_documents/ospar/html/ospar_convention_e_updated_text_2007.pdf
64. African-Eurasian Waterbird Agreement http://www.cms.int/species/aewa/aew_text.htm
65. African-Eurasian Waterbird Agreement Action Plan http://www.cms.int/species/aewa/aew_ap.htm
66. Convention on migratory species Agreement on the conservation of small cetaceans of the Baltic and North Seas http://www.cms.int/species/ascobans/asc_bkrd.htm
67. UN Agreement on Straddling Fish Stocks and Highly Migratory Fish Stocks 2001 http://www.un.org/Depts/los/convention_agreements/convention_overview_fish_stocks.htm
68. Plan of Action for the Conservation and Management of Sharks in UK Waters (2004) http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/pdf/jncc360.pdf
69. Council Directive 92/43/ EEC on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora (the Habitats Directive) http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/environment/nature_and_biodiversity/l28076_en.htm
70. Council Directive 79/409/ EEC on the conservation of wild birds http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2010:020:0007:0025:EN:PDF
71. The Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats http://conventions.coe.int/Treaty/EN/Treaties/Html/104.htm
72. Pan-European Biological and Landscape Diversity Strategy http://www.peblds.org/index.php?ido=20514351&
73. Our life insurance, our natural capital: an EU biodiversity strategy to 2020 http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/biodiversity/comm2006/pdf/2020/1_EN_ACT_part1_v7%5b1%5d.pdf
74. Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69
75. The Conservation (Natural Habitats, &c) Regulations 1994 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/2716/contents/made
76. Conserving Biodiversity the UK Approach (2007) http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/PDF/UKBAP_ConBio-UKApproach-2007.pdf
77. Conserving Biodiversity - the UK Approach (2007) http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/PDF/UKBAP_ConBio-UKApproach-2007.pdf
79. Seal Conservation Areas [available online] http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/marine/marine-environment/species/19887/20814/sealconareas
80. Climate change (Scotland) Act 2009[available online] http://www.legislation.gov.uk/asp/2009/12/contents
81. Scottish Government (2009) Climate Change Delivery Plan [available online] http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/276273/0082934.pdf
82. Scotland's Climate Change Adaptation Framework Marine and Fisheries Sector Action Plan [available online] http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/175776/0114919.pdf