4. Reserved public sector employment in Scotland; Headcount (Table 5)
This section provides a summary of reserved public sector employment which includes:
- Reserved Civil Service (Section 5 for more detailed breakdowns);
- Armed Forces;
- Reserved Public Corporations;
- Public Sector Financial Institutions (which covers Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc and Northern Rock plc);
- Other Reserved Public Bodies (which covers Non-Departmental Bodies and other bodies).
The number of people employed in the reserved public sector decreased by 3,000 (3.1%) to 92,600 in Q2 2013. Chart 6 shows the make-up of the reserved public sector as at Q2 2013.
Chart 5: Breakdown of reserved public sector employment by sector, Headcount, Q2 2013
Employment levels in all categories of the reserved public sector but the armed forces have decreased over the last year:
- Reserved Civil Service down by 1,200 (4.0%);
- Public Corporations down by 900 (5.2%);
- Financial Institutions down by 500 (1.5%);
- Public Bodies down 500 (7.3%), and;
- Armed Forces increased by 100 (0.9%).
Email: Chris Newson