Equality Impact Assessment Results
Title of Policy
The Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2021 (also cited as the Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme)
Summary of aims and desired outcomes of Policy
The purpose of the policy is to support and encourage healthy drinking and eating from the earliest years to improve the diets and wellbeing of children. It has been designed as a universal Scheme to ensure it reaches the greatest number of preschool children.
The Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Scheme (the Scheme) will be delivered by local authorities who will provide direct and upfront funding for all preschool day care provider and childminders (Settings) which are registered with the Care Inspectorate; where children spend 2 or more hours per day; and where settings have registered with their local authority to be part of the Scheme. Under the new Scheme, funding will be available to provide:
- 189mls (1/3 pint) of plain fresh cow's milk (whole milk for children over 1 year or to include semi-skimmed milk for children over 2 years), first infant formula (for children under 12 months), or 189mls (1/3 pint) of plain fresh goat or sheep milk (whole milk for children over 1 year or to include semi-skimmed milk for children over 2 years), or unsweetened calcium enriched non-dairy alternatives for those children who cannot consume cow's milk because of medical, ethical or religious reasons.
- A healthy snack item (a portion of fresh fruit or vegetables) for children over six months.
- Non-dairy alternative drinks eligible for the Scheme are unsweetened calcium enriched soya drinks for children over 12 months with other unsweetened calcium enriched non-dairy alternative drinks being offered only where necessary.
The desired outcomes of this policy are directly linked to contributing to the following National Outcomes:
- Our children have the best start in life and are ready to succeed.
- We live longer, healthier lives.
- We have improved the life chances for children, young people and families at risk.
Directorate, Division, Team
Children and Families: Improving Health and Wellbeing: The Scottish Milk and Healthy Snack Team