Mental Health Strategy for Scotland: 2012-2015
The Scottish Government’s mental health strategy to 2015 sets out a range of key commitments across the full spectrum of mental health improvement, services and recovery to ensure delivery of effective, quality care and treatment for people with a mental illness, their carers and families.
This document is part of a collection
1. Terminology is important but difficult. In this document we use the term 'mental illness' where there is or may be a diagnosis of a particular and defined condition within a document such as "The ICD-10 Classification of Mental and Behavioural Disorders" published by the WHO; 'mental disorder' to refer to the broader category of mental illness, personality disorder and mental illness (which follows the definition in section 328 of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 as well as substance misuse disorders); and "mental health problems" to refer to the more ambiguous territory which includes those with illness, but also people who may be experiencing challenges to their psychological wellbeing, but who do not have a persisting mental illness or disorder.
2. "Paying the Price - The cost of mental health care in England to 2026" - King's Fund, 2008 available at http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/paying_the_price.html
3. Figures and graph from The European Mental Health Strategy, WHO Europe (forthcoming).
4. Figures from the General Register Office for Scotland (GROS) at http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/deaths/suicides/
5. The figures for 2011 are published by GROS in August 2011 and will have become available after this document has been sent for printing. The data is published at http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/statistics/theme/vital-events/deaths/suicides/
6. The period of readmission was for readmissions up to December 2010 and more information is available at http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Mental-Health/Publications/2011-12-20/2011-12-20-MentalHealth-Report.pdf The numbers of individuals readmitted within 365 days of discharge for Jan 08 - Dec 08 is not available due to data completeness issues during that period.
7. More information about delivery against the suicide target is available on the Scotland Performs website at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/scotPerforms/partnerstories/NHSScotlandperformance/suicideprevention
8. The report is available at http://alzheimers.org.uk/dementiamap with information at NHS Board or Trust level across the United Kingdom.
9. "Factors associated with duration of new antidepressant treatment: analysis of a large primary care database" British Journal of General Practice 2012; DOI: 10.3399/bjgp12X625166
10. National Mental Health Service Assessment: Towards Implementation of the Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 Final Report. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2004/03/19084/34431
11. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Performance/scotPerforms/purpose
12. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Performance/Strategic-Objectives
13. Information about each of the National Outcomes can be found at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Performance/scotPerforms/outcome
14. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2012/03/statementofambition15032012
15. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/11/30164829/0
16. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/05/06154655/0
17. Available at http://www.who.int/whr/2001/en/index.html
18. Available at http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/88595/E85445.pdf
19. Available at http://www.ec-mental-health-process.net/index.html
20. Available at http://register.consilium.europa.eu/pdf/en/11/st10/st10384.en11.pdf
21. "Mental health promotion and mental illness prevention: The economic case", Martin Knapp, David McDaid and Michael Parsonage (editors) Department of Health January 2011. http://www.centreformentalhealth.org.uk/publications/mental_health_promotion_economic_case.aspx?ID=630
22. NHSScotland Quality Strategy - putting people at the heart of our NHS http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/05/10102307/0
23. Suicide Reporting System: Learning and Improving Review http://www.healthcareimprovementscotland.org/programmes/mental_health/programme_resources/suicide_reporting_system/learning__improvement_review.aspx
25. Information about the award is available on the SQA website at http://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/47021.html
26. A copy of the Guidelines can be requested from http://www.scottishrecovery.net/Resources/experts-by-experience-implementation-guidelines.html
27. Information about the services can be found at http://www.nhs24.com/UsefulResources/LivingLife
28. The website which offers support is at http://www.stepsforstress.org. There is more information about how we intend to develop the use of Steps for Stress below.
30. Available at http://www.seemescotland.org/
31. "Stigma: An International Briefing Paper", WHO Europe, 2008 http://ec.europa.eu/health/mental_health/eu_compass/reports_studies/stigma_paper.pdf
32. The Mental Health (Care and Treatment) (Scotland) Act 2003 can be found at http://www.legislation.gov.uk
33. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/05/31085414/0
34. Available at http://www.scottishrecovery.net/
35. Available at http://www.sri2.net/
36. More information is available in the final section of this document and at http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Finance/National-Benchmarking-Project/mental-health.asp
37. Available at http://www.healthscotland.com/understanding/evaluation/planning/mental-health.aspx
38. Available at http://www.iimhl.com/
39. Available at http://www.nhs24.com/UsefulResources/LivingLife
40. The website is at http://www.nhsinform.co.uk/mentalhealth
41. The Early Years Framework, Scottish Government 2008 available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/257007/0076309.pdf
42. More information about the Family Nurse partnership work is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/Young-People/Early-Years-and-Family/family-nurse-partnership
43. "Attachment, the reflective self, and borderline states", Fonagy P., Steele M., Steele, H., Leigh T., Kennedy R., Mattoon G., & Target M. (1995) Pp 233-278 in Goldberg, S., Muir, R., & Kerr, J., (Eds) (1995) Attachment Theory: Social Development and Clinical Perspectives. Hillsdale, N. J.,: The Analytic Press.
44. "The mental health of children and adolescents in Great Britain" Office for National Statistics, 1999; "Growing Up in Scotland: Children's social, emotional and behavioural characteristics at entry to primary school" Paul Bradshaw and Sarah Tipping, Scottish Centre for Social Research. http://spoxy4.insipio.com/generator/en/www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/04/26102809/0
45. The diagram is sourced from "What Works in Parenting Support? A Review of the International Literature" , Moran P, Ghate D, van der Werwe A: Research Report 574. London: Department for Education and Skills, 2004.
46. "The development of offending and antisocial behaviour from childhood: key findings from the Cambridge study in delinquent development", Farrington DP, J Child Psychol Psychiatry 1995 36:92964, 1995.
47. "Very early predictors of conduct problems and crime: results from a national cohort study", Murray J, Irving B, Farrington DP, Colman I, Bloxson AJ, J Child Psychol Psychiatry 2010, 51:1198-1207
48. "Financial cost of social exclusion: follow up study of anti-social children into adulthood", Scott S, Knapp M, Henderson J, Maughen B., British Medical Journal 2001;323:191.
49. "Treating Children With Early-Onset Conduct Problems: Intervention Outcomes for Parent, Child, and Teacher Training", Webster-Stratton, C., Reid, J.M., and Hammond, M. 2004. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology.
50. "Randomised Controlled Trial of a Parenting Intervention in the Voluntary Sector for Reducing Conduct Problems in Children: Outcomes and Mechanisms of Change", Gardner, F. and Burton, J., Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2006 47:11. 1123-1132.
51. More information about the work the NSPCC is taking forward is available at http://www.nspcc.org.uk/what-we-do/the-work-we-do/priorities-and-programmes/physical-abuse/new-orleans-intervention-committee/new-orleans_wda86270.html
52. "Psychiatric disorder among British children looked after by local authorities: comparison with children living in private households", Ford, T., Vostanis, P., Meltzer, H. and Goodman, R., British Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 190, pp. 319-325.
53. Delivering for Mental Health, Scottish Executive, 2006 available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/11/30164829/0
54. Looked After Children and Young People; We Can and Must do Better, Scottish Executive, 2007 available at http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2007/01/15084446/0
55. More information about the GIRFEC approach is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/People/Young-People/gettingitright
56. "The Effectiveness of a Community Intensive Therapy Team on Young People's Mental Health Outcomes", Simpson, W., Cowie, L., Wilkinson, L., Lock N., & Monteith, G., 2009, Child and Adolescent Mental Health available at http://www.playfieldinstitute.co.uk/research/reports/effectiveness_of_community_intensive_therapy_team_camh_2010.pdf
57. The publication and further information can be found at www.healthscotland.com/scotlands-health/population/mental-health-indicators/children.aspx
58. The Matrix is available at http://www.nes.scot.nhs.uk/education-and-training/by-discipline/psychology/matrix/the-psychological-therapies-matrix.aspx
60. For commonly used methods to increase physical activity, http://www.nice.org.uk/PH2
61. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/924/0054752.pdf
62. "Links Project Report: developing the connections between General Practices and their Communities" http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2012/05/1043/0
63. Available at http://www.aliss.org/
64. Available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/05/06154655/0
65. Available at http://www.stepsforstress.org
66. SIGN 74 is available at http://www.sign.ac.uk/guidelines/fulltext/74/index.html
67. Alcohol Framework for Action (2009) http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2009/03/04144703/0
68. The Challenge of Delivering Psychological Therapies for Older People in Scotland Report of Older People's Psychological Therapies Working Group, December, 2011.
69. Mentally Healthy Later Life Reference Group - Recommendations to inform Scottish Government's action plan to promote mentally healthy later life in Scotland (2010) NHS Health Scotland available at http://www.wellscotland.info/guidance/tamfspolicy/laterlife/index.aspx
70. More information about the Change Fund is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/care/reshaping/changefund
71. More information about health and social care integration is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/care/IntegrationAdultHealthSocialCare
72. Improving the Quality of Health Care for Mental and Substance-Use Conditions, IOM, page 11.
73. Available at http://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/mental_health_ltcs.html
74. "Multimorbidity: redesigning health care for people who use it" available at http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(12)60482-6/fulltext
75. The final report is available at http://www.ltcas.org.uk/news-and-events/news/2012/03/final-report-of-the-living-better-project-is-now-available/
76. The report is available at http://www.evidenceintopractice.scot.nhs.uk/media/147569/scrhtt%20network%20service%20mapping%20report.pdf
77. The report is available at http://www.qihub.scot.nhs.uk/media/264761/crisis_resolution_home_treatment_report%20final%20november.pdf
78. More information is available at http://www.qihub.scot.nhs.uk/media/264764/ihtt%20mhas%20review%202010%20amended%20final.pdf
79. Copies of all Mental Welfare Commission reports are available at http://www.mwcscot.org.uk/
80. The Report is available at http://www.qihub.scot.nhs.uk/media/266122/mh%20pathway%20efficiency%20and%20productivity%20report%20(2).pdf
81. See note 80
82. See note 53 for reference to Delivering for Mental Health.
83. A copy of the report "Mapping and review of physical health improvement activities for adults (16-65) experiencing severe and enduring mental illness" is available at http://www.healthscotland.com/documents/4806.aspx
84. See note 35 for reference to Scottish Recovery Indicator.
85. More information about Releasing Time to Care can be found at http://www.evidenceintopractice.scot.nhs.uk/leading-better-care.aspx and an early evaluation of impact at http://www.evidenceintopractice.scot.nhs.uk/media/126433/lbc%20and%20rtc%20briefing%20paper%20sept%202010.pdf
86. See note 16 for reference for Towards a Mentally Flourishing Scotland.
87. See note 83 for reference to the review report.
88. "Vocational Rehabilitation What works, for whom and when?", Waddell G., Burton A.K., Kendall N.A.S., 2008, London available at http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/hwwb-vocational-rehabilitation.pdf
89. "Disability and employment in Scotland: a review of the evidence base" Riddell S., Banks P. and Tinklin T. Scottish Executive, 2005, available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/01/20511/49760
90. Information about the SRI 2 is available at http://www.sri2.net/
91. The most recent information about Rights, Relationships and Recovery together with a link to the original document is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/health/mental-health/RRRmentalhealth/
92. More information about Wellness Recovery Actions Plans is available at http://www.scottishrecovery.net/WRAP/wellness-recovery-actions-planning.html
93. Materials which support this community of practice are available at http://www.knowledge.scot.nhs.uk/work/groups-and-projects/mental-health-and-forensic-ahp-network.aspx)
94. The materials are available at http://www.employabilityinscotland.com/toolkits/capacity-building/employability-training-for-health-professionals
95. "Vocational rehabilitation for people with severe mental illness", Crowther R., Marshall M., Bond G.R., Huxley P., the Cochrane Library, 2010, available at http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD003080/vocational-rehabilitation-for-people-with-severe-mental-illness
96. "The effectiveness of supported employment for people with severe mental illness: a randomized controlled trial", Burns T., Catty J., Becker T., Drake R., Fioritti A., Knapp M., Lauber C., Tomov T., van Busschbach J., White S., Wiersma D., The Lancet, 2007, 370 1146-1152 available at http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(07)61516-5/fulltext
97. "Impact of supported employment on service cost and income of people with mental health needs" Schneider J., Boyce M., Johnson R., Secker J., Slade J., Grove B., Floyd M., Journal of Mental Health 2009 18(6) 533 available at http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/09638230903111098
98. More information is available at http://www.centreformentalhealth.org.uk/employment/ips.aspx
99. "Realising work potential. Defining the contribution of allied health professionals to vocational rehabilitation in mental health services", 2011, Scottish Government, available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/12/16110149/0; "Towards Work in Forensic Mental Health National Guidance for Allied Health Professionals" available at http://www.forensicnetwork.scot.nhs.uk/alliedhealth.html
100. The Report is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/About/Review/commissiononwomenoffenders/finalreport-2012
101. The response is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0039/00395486.pdf
102. More information about Community Payback Orders is available at http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/public-safety/offender-management/offender/community/examples/payback/CPO
103. The Strategy is available at http://www.scotland.gov.ukd81d318d-0216-4c54-95a1-b66e5536fc93
104. More information about mental health benchmarking and the mental health benchmarking toolkit is available at http://www.isdscotland.org/Health-Topics/Finance/National-Benchmarking-Project/Mental-Health.asp
105. Available at http://www.aliss.org/
Email: Ewen Cameron, Reshaping Care & Mental Health Division
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback