The main pieces of legislation mentioned in this guidance, including the Act and its Explanatory Notes, can be downloaded free from www.hmso.gov.uk. Hard copies of legislation can be purchased from The Stationery Office Bookshop, 71 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, EH3 9AZ, tel: 0870 606 55 66, Website: www.tsoshop.co.uk.
For more information on practical ways to involve parents, see
- Parents as Partners in their Children's Learning Toolkit - available on Parentzone website at www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk
- Involving Parents: examples of good practice CD-rom - Available by emailing: email@example.com or telephone 0131 244 0956.
- Making the Difference - a series of leaflets giving parents advice on supporting their child's learning. Available from the Parentzone website ( www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk), email: firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0131 244 0956.
For more information on research into parental involvement, see
- Parents' views on improving parental involvement in children's education, George Street Research © Crown Copyright, 2005 www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/03/20759/53608
- The Impact of Parental Involvement on Children's Education, Department of Education and Skills, 2003. Available from DfES Publications, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ, Tel: 0845 6022260.
- Engaging fathers: involving parents, raising achievement, Department of Education and Skills, 2004. Available from DfES Publications, PO Box 5050, Sherwood Park, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ, Tel: 0845 6022260.
- Career Goals and Educational Attainment: What is the link? A study of school pupils' perceptions, Careers Scotland research report, http://www.careers-scotland.org.uk/careersscotland/Web/Site/LearningandGuidance/Research/ResearchIntro.asp
For additional policies schools and authorities may wish to consider see
- Supporting children's learning: code of practice, - offers guidance on the Education (Additional Support for Learning) (Scotland) Act 2004. © Crown Copyright, August 2005, ISBN 0755946243, www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/08/15105817/58187
- Safe and well: Good practice in schools and education authorities for keeping children safe and well ©Crown Copyright, August 2005, ISBN 0755947401. www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/08/0191408/14093
- For Scotland's Children © Crown Copyright, 2001, ISBN 0-7559-0306-4 www.scotland.gov.uk/library3/education/fcsr-00.asp
- Gender Stereotyping and Career Choice. Research conducted by Napier University and led by Careers Scotland. www.napier.ac.uk/depts/eri/research/genderstereo.htm
- Review of Strategies to Address Gender Inequalities in Scottish Schools, Insight Report no. 31 www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/05/02135116/0
For further information on supporting looked after children's learning see
- Learning with Care © Crown Copyright. May 2003 ISBN 1900743477 Published by University of Strathclyde, Faculty of Education, 76 Southbrae Drive, Glasgow G13 1PP.
For more about how schools and authorities evaluate how they are doing, see
- How Good is Our School? - self evaluation tool available from HMIE website www.hmie.gov.uk, HM Inspectorate of Education, Denholm House, Almondvale Business Park, Almondvale Way, Livingston, EH54 6GA, Tel: 01506 600 200, Fax: 01506 600 337, Email: email@example.com
- How Good is Our Partnership with Parents? - self evaluation tool available from HMIE website www.hmie.gov.uk and the address above.
For further information on separated parents see
- A Parenting Agreement for Scotland - Guide © Crown Copyright April 2006, ISBN 0755950674, www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/04/19140046/0
- A Parenting Agreement for Scotland - Plan © Crown Copyright April 2006, ISBN 0755950674 - www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2006/04/19135817/7
For information on engaging with the wider community see
- National Standards for Community Engagement - available from Communities Scotland - www.communitiesscotland.gov.uk
The following websites are sources of advice on a range of aspects relating to parental involvement in children's education and learning.
Parentzone - information on education in Scotland and advice for parents on supporting their child's learning - www.parentzonescotland.gov.uk
Scottish Parent Teacher Council ( SPTC) - the national organisation for PTAs and PAs - www.sptc.info
Scottish School Board Association ( SSBA) - represents the interests of School Boards - www.schoolboard-scotland.com
Careers Scotland - services, information and support on career planning - www.careers-scotland.org.uk
Children in Scotland - for voluntary, statutory and professional organisations and individuals working with children and their families - www.childreninscotland.org.uk
Enquire - the Scottish advice service for additional support for learning - www.enquire.org.uk, helpline: 0845 123 2303; textphone: 0131 222 2439.
Fathers Direct - advice on role of fathers in education - www.fathersdirect.com
HM Inspectorate of Education ( HMIE) - school inspection reports, good practice and other publications - www.hmie.gov.uk
HM Revenue and Customs ( HMRC) - advice on tax issues - www.hmrc.gov.uk