- 14 Oct 2020
Date received: 28 Aug 2020
Date responded: 11 Sep 2020
Fees for children and young people to participate in home economics classes. Your request asks five specific questions namely:
1. How many Scottish councils charge fees to participate in home economics classes within their schools;
2. What the fees are in each council area, where fees are charged;
3. Which councils charge fees for home economics classes;
4. Which council charge fees to children and young people who are entitled to free school meals; and
5. Which council areas are children and young people entitled to free school meals charged the full fee.
1) How many of the Scottish council areas charge children a fee to participate in home economics classes?
In the case of primary schools, 27 out of 32 councils responded to our survey. 8 councils told us that they request contributions to participate in home economics classes, whilst 19 councils told us that they did not.
In the case of secondary schools, between secondaries 1 and 3, 28 out 32 councils provided us with responses. 24 councils told us that they request contributions to participate in home economics classes, whilst 4 councils told us that they did not. We do not hold information for secondary 4 and above.
2) Which councils make charges for home economics classes?
The following councils requested contributions for children in primary schools: Aberdeen City; East Ayrshire; East Dunbartonshire; East Lothian; East Renfrewshire; Glasgow City; South Lanarkshire and Stirling.
The following councils requested contributions for young people in secondary schools: Aberdeen City; Aberdeenshire; Angus; City of Edinburgh; Dundee City; East Ayrshire; East Dunbartonshire; East Lothian; East Renfrewshire; Fife; Glasgow City; Highland; Midlothian; Moray; North Lanarkshire; Orkney Islands; Perth and Kinross; Renfrewshire; Scottish Borders; Shetland Islands; South Lanarkshire; Stirling; West Dunbartonshire and West Lothian.
3) What are the fees charged in each council area that charges?
I attach a copy of the spreadsheet from our survey of local authorities with this response. This spreadsheet contains the information requested in this question.
4) Which councils charge children, entitled to free school meals, to participate in home economics classes?
The ScottishGovernment does not hold this information, although the following councils told us they have discretionary measures in place regarding fees: City of Edinburgh; South Lanarkshire and West Dunbartonshire. In addition, fees are voluntary at schools in North Lanarkshire.
5) Are children eligible for free school meals charged the full fee in these council areas?
The Scottish Government does not hold this information.
The Scottish Government is committed to publishing all information released in response to Freedom of Information requests. View all FOI responses at http://www.gov.scot/foi-responses.
Please quote the FOI reference
Central Enquiry Unit
Phone: 0300 244 4000
The Scottish Government
St Andrews House