ANNEX 14 PATIENT INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
National Evaluation of Nurse Prescribing in Scotland
Section 1: Background knowledge/views about treatment and nurse prescribing
1. When you see a doctor or a nurse, what is your view of 'good' treatment?
2. Before participating in this interview, did you know that some nurses could prescribe medication independently from a doctor - that is, they can write out and sign the prescription without the doctor being involved? If yes, what kinds of things did you know about nurse prescribing?
3. Have you ever had a prescription from a nurse who was able to prescribe you what you needed without the doctor being involved? If yes, can you tell me about your experience of getting a prescription from a nurse?
- Probe whether they receive prescriptions regularly e.g. a chronic condition or whether this experience was a 'one off' - if not already answered.
Section 2: Current perceptions
(Wording for the following questions depends on the participant's answers above.)
4. How did/do you think you would you feel about the experience of getting your medication/products (or whatever relevant to patient experience) from a nurse rather than a doctor?
5. How did/would the experience of getting a prescription from a nurse differ/might differ from the experience of getting prescriptions from a doctor?
6. What kinds of expectations, if any, would/ did you have when receiving your prescription from a nurse? If expectations talked about - Do you think that these expectations would differ from the expectations you might have when getting a prescription from a doctor?
- Time issues
- Communication style
- Ease of access to treatment
7. Do you/would you have any concerns about getting a prescription from a nurse? If yes - can you tell me a bit about your concerns?
8. Do you think that nurse prescribing brings any benefits for patients? If yes, what kinds of benefits do you think there might be?
Section 3: Future direction
9. Would you go to a nurse in the future for them to prescribe you're your medication/products? (Or whatever relevant to patient) Explore answer. If yes, why. If no, why?
10. At the moment, only some nurses can independently prescribe e.g. ………….. Do you think that nurse prescribing should be extended so that more nurses are able to prescribe? If yes, explore.
- Should all nurses be able to prescribe or only some?
11.At the moment, nurse prescribers can only prescribe a limited range of products and medicines e.g. ………..Do you think that nurse prescribers should be able to prescribe more products and medicines than at present? If yes, explore.
- Anything that they should/should not be able to give you?
12. Is there anything else that you would like to see happen with nurse prescribing in the future?
13. Is there anything that you would not like to see happen with nurse prescribing in the future?
15. Do you have any other comments or suggestions about nurse prescribing?
- In general?
- In this practice/ward/unit (whatever setting relevant)?
Thank you for your participation in this project.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback