Ending HIV transmission in Scotland by 2030
The HIV transmission elimination proposal has been developed by Professor Rak Nandwani and an expert group made up of clinicians, academia and third sector partners. The proposal contains 22 recommendations to ensure progress is made to meet our goal of zero transmissions in Scotland by 2030.
All websites accessed and URL correct in September 2022
1. Rodger AJ, Cambiano V, Bruun T, et al. PARTNER Study Group. Risk of HIV transmission through condomless sex in serodifferent gay couples with the HIV-positive partner taking suppressive antiretroviral therapy (PARTNER): final results of a multicentre, prospective, observational study. Lancet. 2019 Jun 15;393(10189):2428-2438. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(19)30418-0. Epub 2019 May 2. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(19%2930418-0/fulltext
2. Eliminating HIV transmission by 2030. Scottish Government. 1 December 2020. https://www.gov.scot/news/eliminating-hiv-transmission-by-2030/
3. HIV in Scotland: update to 31 December 2021. Public Health Scotland. 29 November 2022. https://publichealthscotland.scot/publications/hiv-in-scotland/hiv-in-scotland- update-to-31-december-2021
4. HIV in Scotland: update to 31 December 2019. Public Health Scotland. 23 June 2020. https://publichealthscotland.scot/media/3314/2_hiv-in-scotland-2019-annual-report.pdf
5. 90-90-90. An ambitious treatment target to help end the AIDS epidemic. UNAIDS. October 2014. https://files.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/unaidspublication/2014/90-90-90_en.pdf
6. Nandwani R. Pre-exposure prophylaxis approved in Scotland. Lancet HIV 2017 4(6); 238-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3018(17)30078-4
7. Estcourt C, Yeung A, Nandwani R, Goldberg D, Cullen B, Steedman N, Wallace L, Hutchinson S. Population-level effectiveness of a national HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis programme in MSM. AIDS. 2021 Mar 15;35(4):665-673. https://doi.org/10.1097/QAD.0000000000002790
8. McAuley A et al. Re-emergence of HIV related to injecting drug use despite a comprehensive harm reduction environment: a cross-sectional analysis. Lancet HIV 2019. 6(5); 315-324.: https://doi.org/10.1016/S2352-3018(19)30036-0
9. Trayner KMA et al. Evaluation of the scale-up of HIV testing among people who inject drugs in Scotland in the context of an ongoing HIV outbreak. Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Oct;96:103304.
10. Metcalfe R, et al. From Hospital to the Community: Redesigning the Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Clinical Service Model to Respond to an Outbreak of HIV Among People Who Inject Drugs. J Infect Dis. 2020 Sep 2;222(Suppl 5):S410-S419.
11. Grimshaw C, Boyd L, Smith M, Estcourt CS, Metcalfe R. Evaluation of an inner city HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis service tailored to the needs of people who inject drugs. HIV Med. 2021 Nov;22(10):965-970.
12. National drug related death database (Scotland). Analysis of deaths occurring in 2017 and 2018. Public Health Scotland. 26 July 2022. https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/publications/national-drug-related-death-database-scotland/the-national-drug-related-deaths-database-scotland-report-analysis-of-deaths-occurring-in-2017-and-2018/
13. Scotland's public heath priorities. Public Health Scotland. 2022. https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/our-areas-of-work/improving-our-health-and-wellbeing/scotlands-public-health-priorities/
14. World AIDS Day - HIV in Scotland (2018). Public Health Scotland. 27 November 2018. Article 52/4706. https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/publications/hps-weekly-report/volume-52/issue-47/world-aids-day-hiv-in-scotland-2018/
15. Reset and Rebuild - sexual health and blood borne virus services: recovery plan. Scottish Government. 4 August 2021. https://www.gov.scot/publications/reset-rebuild-recovery-plan-sexual-health-blood-borne-virus-services/
16. Sexual Health and Blood Borne Virus Framework 2015-2020 Update. Scottish Government. 2 September 2015. https://www.gov.scot/publications/sexual-health-blood-borne-virus-framework-2015-2020-update/
17. Implementation of HIV PrEP in Scotland: Second Year Report. Public Health Scotland. 17 December 2019. https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/implementation-of-hiv-prep-in-scotland-second-year-report/
18. Grimshaw C, Estcourt CS, Nandwani R, et al. Implementation of a national HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis service is associated with changes in characteristics of people with newly diagnosed HIV: a retrospective cohort study. 2022; 98:53-57. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33441446/
19. Regional consultation on developing the 2022–2030 action plans for the elimination of HIV, viral hepatitis and STIs in the WHO European Region. WHO Europe. 3 February 2022. https://www.who.int/europe/news-room/events/item/2022/02/03/default-calendar/regional-consultation-on-developing-the-2022-2030-action-plans-for-the-elimination-of-hiv--viral-hepatitis-and-stis-in-the-who-european-region
20. The White House. 2021. National HIV/AIDS Strategy for the United States 2022–2025. Washington, DC. https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/National-HIV-AIDS-Strategy.pdf?wpisrc=nl_health202
21. NSW HIV Strategy 2021–2025. Centre for Population Health. 19 February 2021. https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/endinghiv/Pages/nsw-hiv-strategy-2021-2025.aspx
22. Towards Zero - An action plan towards ending HIV transmission, AIDS and HIV-related deaths in England - 2022 to 2025. Department of Health & Social Care. 21 December 2021. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/towards-zero-the-hiv-action-plan-for-england-2022-to-2025/towards-zero-an-action-plan-towards-ending-hiv-transmission-aids-and-hiv-related-deaths-in-england-2022-to-2025
23. HIV Action Plan for Wales. Eliminating HIV – improving quality of life and tackling stigma associated with the virus - an action plan for 2023-26. Welsh Government 2022. https://gov.wales/sites/default/files/consultations/2022-06/hiv-action-plan-for-wales.pdf
24. Chawla A, Murphy G, Donnelly C et al. Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) antibody avidity testing to identify recent infection in newly diagnosed HIV type 1 (HIV-1)-seropositive persons infected with diverse HIV-1 subtypes. J Clin Microbiol 2007 Feb;45(2):415-20. doi: 10.1128/JCM.01879-06. Epub 2006 Dec 6. https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/JCM.01879-06
25. People First Charter. 2022. https://peoplefirstcharter.org
26. Global health sector strategies on, respectively, HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections for the period 2022-2030. Geneva: World Health Organization (WHO) 2022. Licence: CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 IGO. https://www.who.int/teams/global-hiv-hepatitis-and-stis-programmes/strategies/global-health-sector-strategies
27. Palfreeman A, Sullivan A, Rayment M et al. British HIV Association/British Association for Sexual Health and HIV/British Infection Association adult HIV testing guidelines 2020. 2020; 21 Suppl 6: 1-26.https://www.bhiva.org/HIV-testing-guidelines
28. Martin V, Shah A, Mackay N, Lester J, Newbigging-Lister A, Connor N, Brown AE, Sullivan AK, Delpech VC, and contributors. HIV testing, new HIV diagnoses, outcomes and quality of care for people accessing HIV services: 2021 report. The annual official statistics data release (data to end of December 2020). December 2021, UK Health Security Agency, London https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/hiv-annual-data-tables
29. British HIV Association/British Association for Sexual Health and HIV/British Infection Association Adult HIV Testing Guidelines 2020. https://www.bhiva.org/HIV-testing-guidelines
30. Ragonnet-Cronin M, Bradley-Stewart A, Metcalfe R, Peters E, Gunson R, McAuley A, Milosevic C, Leigh Brown A. Using real-time phylodynamic analysis to assess and guide public health interventions in a HIV outbreak among people who inject drugs in Scotland. Poster 077. Glasgow HIV Drug Therapy Conference 2018. http://hivglasgow.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/P077.pdf
31. Guidance to Support Opt-Out Blood Borne Virus (BBV) Testing in Scottish Prisons. Public Health Scotland. 4 July 2019.
32. Recommendations on Hepatitis C Virus Case-finding and Access to Care. Public Health Scotland. 28 January 2019. https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/recommendations-on-hepatitis-c-virus-case-finding-and-access-to-care/
33. Scottish Government. Alcohol and drugs policy. Drugs education and prevention. https://www.gov.scot/policies/alcohol-and-drugs/drugs-education-and-prevention/
34. International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC). Fast-Track Cities. https://www.iapac.org/fast-track-cities/about-fast-track/
35. International Association of Providers of AIDS Care (IAPAC). Stigma and Misconceptions are Critical Barriers to Reach HIV Targets in Scotland 29 October 2018. https://www.iapac.org/2018/10/29/stigma-and-misconceptions-are-critical-barriers-to-reach-hiv-targets-in-scotland/
36. Implementation of HIV PrEP in Scotland: First year report – Full report. Public Health Scotland. 26 February 2019. https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/web-resources-container/implementation-of-hiv-prep-in-scotland-first-year-report/
37. Henderson L, Gibbs J, Kincaid R, et al. O25 The ePrEP clinic: developing a clinical consultation for online PrEP provision. 2022;98:A13.
38. UK Guideline for the use of HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis 2021. BASHH-BHIVA. https://www.bhiva.org/file/6183b6aa93a4e/PEP-guidelines.pdf
39. HIV topic portal. Public Health Scotland. https://www.hps.scot.nhs.uk/a-to-z-of-topics/hiv/
40. Public Health Scotland delivery plan 2021-24. Public Health Scotland. 3 June 2021. https://www.publichealthscotland.scot/publications/public-health-scotland-delivery-plan-2021-24/
41. Scottish Government. Mental Health Strategy 2017-2027. 30 March 2017. https://www.gov.scot/publications/mental-health-strategy-2017-2027/
42. Scottish Government. Women's Health Plan. 20 August 2021. https://www.gov.scot/news/womens-health-plan/
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback