1. Budgeting loans are to be incorporated into the new Universal Credit and Sure Start maternity grants, funeral payments, winter fuel payments and cold weather payments are not to be devolved.
2. Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) (2011) Annual report by the Secretary of State for Works and Pensions on the Social Fund 2010/2011. July. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/2011-annual-report-social-fund.pdf. See page 24.
3. All figures have been rounded to the nearest 100. The figures given here for the number of awards do not include awards made after review (upon appeal). However, the expenditure does include awards made after review, reconsideration or appeal.
4. Commission on Scottish Devolution (2009) Serving Scotland Better: Scotland and the United Kingdom in the 21st Century, June. http://www.commissiononscottishdevolution.org.uk/uploads/2009-06-12-csd-final-report-2009fbookmarked.pdf
5. Department for Work and Pensions (2010) Social Fund reform: debt, credit and low income households, March. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/consultations/2010/social-fund-reform/
6. Department for Work and Pensions (2010) Universal Credit: welfare that works, December. http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/legislation-and-key-documents/universal-credit/.
7. These are made to claimants with immediate needs while awaiting payment of their benefit award.
8. Scottish Government (2010) The Social Fund: a review of selected literature, Research Findings, No 5, December. http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/12/22083549/2.
9. Scottish Government (2011) Devolution of Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans: Consultation on Successor Arrangements. August. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/07/29104056/9.
11. Note that the DWP/DCLG consultation for England in Feb-April 2011 received 125 responses.
12. Respondents did not always make a clear distinction between Community Care Grants and Crisis Loans. Wherever the distinction was made it has been reported.
14. The Social Fund Commissioner's statutory duties and powers are set out in primary legislation at section 37 of the Social Security Act 1998 and include appointing Social Fund Inspectors and other staff; arranging training; monitoring the quality of Inspectors' decisions; providing advice and assistance to improve standards; and reporting annually to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions.
15. Independent Review Service, Experiences of Social Fund customers living in Scotland October 2011 http://www.irs-review.org.uk/infocent/reports/sfc/ExSF.pdf
16. Scottish Government (2008) Achieving our potential. A framework to tackle poverty and income inequality in Scotland. November. http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2008/11/20103815/6
17. Scottish Government (2011) Child poverty strategy for Scotland. March. http://scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/03/14094421/6
18. Scottish Government, Christie Commission (2011) Commission on the future delivery of public services. June. http://scotland.gov.uk75ddd03d-05dc-4b37-9464-054ffb897d15
19. This group was made up of community activists with experience of the issues of poverty, and representatives from Save the Children, Oxfam and the Routes out of Prison project. The group also sought advice from organisations with expertise in the issues such as Citizens Advice Scotland.
20. From April 2011, crisis loans were not available for items such as beds or cookers, the rate paid for living expenses reduced from 75% to 60% of benefit rate, to align with Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) paid at hardship rate, and there is a maximum of three awards for general living expenses in a rolling 12-month period.
21. Scottish Government (2011) Principles of inclusive communication. An information and self-assessment tool for public authorities. September. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2011/09/14082209/17.
22. Easyread is uses simple word, symbols and pictures to make documents accessible.
23. Income Support, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Pension Credit, or payment on account of one of these benefits
24. These criteria are listed in descending order of the percentages of cases for GB in 2009/10.
26. Scottish Government (2010) The Social Fund: A review of selected literature. Research Findings. December. http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/12/22083549/2
27. A single response was found to be a duplicate and removed.
There is a problem
Thanks for your feedback